SanDisk Clip Sport Firmware 1.17 released

@openapero wrote:

Therfore I have 3 questions about the next firmware release:

1/ Do you scheduled in a future release (which one?) to merge external memory and internal memory in “Music” to allow the user to read All files? When is the release date for this KEY functionnality?

2/ Do you schedule to remove the limitation of 4000 items? 

(why allowing to have 16 + 64 Gb for only 4000 items? )

When is the release date for this KEY functionnality?

3/ Do you scheduled in a future release (which one?) to restore the sorting by genre?

Thanks a lot for your quick reply.

According to your reply I will decide to bring back my MP3 reader to the store or to keep it.

1.  No.
  2.  No.
  3.  No.

Sorry, but if you want the same functuionality as you had with the Clip Zip, return the Sport model and buy another Zip. The Sport is a limited featured player. The ONLY advantage is the increased playing time.

@tapeworm wrote:

(…) The Sport is a limited featured player. The ONLY advantage is the increased playing time.

Two more:

1. the possibility to use a 64 GB MicroSDXC Card (which the Zip doesn’t offer, in contrast to the Clip+) while running it in «folder» mode to circumvent the 2000-files limit – makes up for the split database

2. even better sound quality than both Clip+ and Zip, combined with much higher output power

@jazz wrote:

Two more:

1. the possibility to use a 64 GB MicroSDXC Card (which the Zip doesn’t offer, in contrast to the Clip+) . . . .

I’m not aware that a 64GB micro SDXC card (and a 128GB card, for that matter) can’t be used with the Zip–in fact, I understand they can be.

@jazz wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

(…) The Sport is a limited featured player. The ONLY advantage is the increased playing time.

Two more:

1. the possibility to use a 64 GB MicroSDXC Card (which the Zip doesn’t offer, in contrast to the Clip+) . . . .

I’m not aware that a 64GB microSDXC card (and a 128GB card, for that matter) can’t be used with the Zip–in fact, I understand they can be.

Tapeworm wrote: 

1.  No.
  2.  No.
  3.  No.

Sorry, but if you want the same functuionality as you had with the Clip Zip, return the Sport model and buy another Zip. The Sport is a limited featured player. The ONLY advantage is the increased playing time.

I am also new in the forum (my status says Newbie), could you clarify if your status of ‘Sandisk Guru’ means that you are a sandisk employee, entitled to give such definitive replies, or does it simply mean you have just been around for a long long time?

@miikerman wrote:

I’m not aware that a 64GB microSDXC card (and a 128GB card, for that matter) can’t be used with the Zip–in fact, I understand they can be.

Perhaps I should have said: «with the original firmware» (and that’s my experience with it). As far as I know, it’s possible with Rockbox, though.

@jazz wrote:

@miikerman wrote:

Perhaps I should have said: «with the original firmware» (and that’s my experience with it). As far as I know, it’s possible with Rockbox, though.

As long as you re-format the card to FAT32, you can use a 64GB card with the original firmware as well.

Other advantages of the Sport besides the battery:

2)  The refresh rate is better : using the same card with 14 gb of songs takes about 40 minutes less on the Sport than my Zip. 

3)  Audiobook speeds are pitch corrected.

4)  Bigger screen.

I realize that the seperation between card and internal memory is likely the reason the refresh rate is better.  I actually like this feature in theory.  I should be able to change one 4mb file without having to have the system rebuild and reorganize the entire 24gb database from scratch, and this is a way to partitician it to some degree.   But in practice, the 2000 item limit doesn’t let me access all the files on the card, so not as good as in theory. 

The bigger screen isn’t really that big of a difference, but there is potentially ways this could be a better player for some people.

With that said, the potential is not being met.  The file sorting is terrible.  Cutting off album titles and band names and playing alubums and audiobooks out of order really needs to be fixed in order for this to be a usable player.  If they can get at least that much fixed, it could be a decent player.  If they can get that much fixed and increase the items to 4000, or make the folder view more sortable, I’d actually be happy with the player.

I’ve tried it twice – without success.

@tapeworm wrote:

As long as you re-format the card to FAT32, you can use a 64GB card with the original firmware as well.

I’ve tried it twice without success.

@jazz wrote:

I’ve tried it twice without success.

A third try finally was crowned with success. Formatting the card with HPUSBDisk instead of a Mac (both to FAT32!) made the difference. Now the Zip accepts the 64 GB card without a problem.

JaZZ wrote

A third try finally was crowned with success. Formatting the card with HPUSBDisk instead of a Mac (both to FAT32!) made the difference. Now the Zip accepts the 64 GB card without a problem.

It would have been too good to be true! In fact there’s a serious problem: The player must not be turned off. Each time I turn it on again, it refreshes the database – which takes 20 minutes or so. BTW, I tried two Zips, one with FW 01.01.21, the other with FW 01.01.20.

Can anyone of the SDXC proponents give me a hint about their configurations? Do their 64 GB equipped Zips really run with the original firmware?

@mettrodome wrote:

With that said, the potential is not being met.  The file sorting is terrible.  Cutting off album titles and band names and playing alubums and audiobooks out of order really needs to be fixed in order for this to be a usable player.  If they can get at least that much fixed, it could be a decent player.  If they can get that much fixed and increase the items to 4000, or make the folder view more sortable, I’d actually be happy with the player.

Unlikely that the capacity will be increased, as it only was by cutting the capacity in half that the sorting and displaying could be improved to the point that they currently are at . . . .   An unfortunate result of the engineering that was selected for the Sport (different from in the earlier Clip players).    :frowning:

Yes, the sorting just seems to rearrange itself out of order (not based on the #) when the files are refreshed. 

It is ok for working out and listening to podcasts. 

I did download the 1.18 version which I see was pulled. Is anything worse with this version verses 17 that it was pulled. From reading this it seems to have the same problems. 

Hi, I’ve a Sport Sandisk mp3 player. Everything was working fine with 1.09 firmware, after upgrading to 1.17 my player doesn’t even start. When I press power on button it’s not starting anymore. Sometimes it just starts but about a 20% of the times I try to power on this device. No resetting procedures are working either.

This never happened to me before updating, I’m not using SD cards or anything else, please upload another firmware to try it, I just want to power on my mp3 player to listen some music, I don’t listen audiobooks or radio, just some mp3 files. Please upload an old firmware.

thank you!

Hello,

Is this possible to have a file like “upgrade.hex” but with the v1.09?

So we could downgrade to the previous version for people who regret having done this 1.17 upgrade…

Thank’s

SanDisk has not made that available (but still is working on the firmware, apparently) . . . .

Ok, so I will wait for the new upgrade like all other people ^^

I really hope they will remove the 2000 files limitation

i hope too.

this is a hard to understand, why they did it.

i’m very pleased, that we have no rockbox for this model.

opensource software has no strange limits.

and we have no ways to downgrade?

or where will be done new firmware ?

Note:  _ It is _ unlikely that the 2000 limit will be going away in the future, as the file limit had been halved earlier to deal with other engineering limitations in the Sport.