Firmware is the software code that powers your Clip Sport. You can think of it as the operating system. SanDisk actively and periodically updates the capabilities, functionality, and reliability of the Firmware. For an optimal experience with your Clip Sport, SanDisk recommends that you update your Firmware with each new release. It’s fast, easy, and free!
Notice for users that Previously upgraded to Firmware Version 1.18
We have found a potential issue where a small number of Clip Sport devices may freeze on the SanDisk Screen after updating to FW version 1.18. While we investigate this issue we have decided to remove FW 1.18. If you have previously upgraded successfully to FW 1.18 you will not be affected by this issue and you can continue using FW 1.18.
SanDisk has released firmware version 1.17 for the SanDisk Clip Sport. Download links and the release notes are available below.
SanDisk Clip Sport Firmware 1.17 Download and Installation instructions
Update using the Sansa Firmware Updater
For Sansa Firmware Updater - Click here to download
Manual Firmware Update (Download and Instructions)
Manual Firmware Update (All Regions) - Click here to download
All languages are now in one firmware version. After firmware update you will need to select your Language and Region preference.
• Remove any external card from the Clip Sport before performing firmware update
• Ensure your battery is > 50% full.
• Plug in your SanDisk Clip Sport to your computer.
• Download and save the upgrade.hex file linked above to folder on your computer.
• Drag the file to the root directory of your SanDisk Clip Sport
• Disconnect the SanDisk Clip Sport and let the firmware update begin.
• Once it finally finishes doing its update, it will turn itself off.
• Turn the Clip Sport on, Select your language and region preference
• Once its back to the main menu, head to “Settings” >“System Settings”> “Info”, and verify the “Version” is now 1.17".
SanDisk Clip Sport Release notes
This new firmware has various enhancements and bug fixes, including key fixes listed below. Upon completion of the firmware upgrade, the device will turn off; power on the device to complete the upgrade process. If the device does not initiate or complete, press & hold the Power switch for 15 seconds to reset the device and then press and hold power button again for 1 second to restart
- Added Key Lock (Press and Hold Back Button for 2 seconds to enable Key lock, Press and hold back button 2 seconds to disable Key lock)
- Added Track number sorting using ID3 tags. Songs will now play in album order by ID3 tag track number if available.
- Notification translations and clarity improved
- Shuffle algorithm improved
- Battery notifications added
- ID3 Tags for FLAC now recognized
- Maximum database size supported is now 2000 objects for internal memory and 2000 object for external memory
- Sorting tracks by Genre is no longer available