Ronnie James Dio

A few days ago Ronnie James Dio died at 7:45 am (CDT) on May 16, 2010. He died at age 67 from stomach cancer. He was responsible for making the heavy metal symbol “throwing the horns”  popular.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronnie_James_Dio

SansaPro wrote:

A few days ago Ronnie James Dio died at 7:45 am (CDT) on May 16, 2010. He died at age 67 from stomach cancer. He was responsible for making the heavy metal symbol “throwing the horns”  popular.

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronnie_James_Dio

That depends entirely on who you talk to and how you throw the horns. Dio’s horns involve the fingers facing away from you. If you throw the horns with your fingers facing toward you you can thank Gene Simmons.

 

HOWEVER what Dio did do that no one can deny is front some of the greatest Metal bands in history, Black Sabbath, Dio, and Heaven and Hell

@conversionbox wrote:

That depends entirely on who you talk to and how you throw the horns. Dio’s horns involve the fingers facing away from you. If you throw the horns with your fingers facing toward you you can thank Gene Simmons.

Interesting. I always thought the Gene Simmons horns were the heavy metal way while the other horns version was the Texas Longhorns way. 

Knowing is half the battle!

parker wrote:


@conversionbox wrote:

That depends entirely on who you talk to and how you throw the horns. Dio’s horns involve the fingers facing away from you. If you throw the horns with your fingers facing toward you you can thank Gene Simmons.


 

Interesting. I always thought the Gene Simmons horns were the heavy metal way while the other horns version was the Texas Longhorns way. 

 

Knowing is half the battle!

Actually… The Gene Simmons way is a product of the way he holds his pick and just raising his hand in the air. The Dio/Longhorsns way is a derivative of the Maloik or evil eye which according to Dio he grew up seeing his grandmother use.

For more info on the Maloik See this Article 

 Why Do I know this? I work at a Heavy Metal / Rock Radio Station 

That’s pretty funny. Maloik reminds me of that creepy grandmother from “My Big Fat Greek Wedding.” They would also spit on their kids’ heads for good luck.