Rockbox?

Rockbox on Fuze (v1) made quite some progress this week. Most of the major problems seem to be solved - besides slow playback: MP3 playback takes more than 50% of the CPU, which results in short battery life. The reason for this is believed to be that cache is not enabled until now. Also loading the battery and copying music to the Fuze via USB requires using the original firmware. All of the other stuff either has not been tested until now, or seems to work.

Thank you Calv for the info, this made me smile. Hopefully AMS (correct me if I’m wrong) Rockbox shall see the daylight soon.

Is there any significant difference between Fuze V1 and Fuze v2? Or what is the difference? I bought a Fuze on Thursday and I think it’s a V1, should I go back and buy a V2 Fuze from somewhere else?

@atz wrote:

Is there any significant difference between Fuze V1 and Fuze v2? Or what is the difference? I bought a Fuze on Thursday and I think it’s a V1, should I go back and buy a V2 Fuze from somewhere else?

I don’t think so, as far as the firmware update threads tell me. The v2 may have corrected some of the hardware problems with V1, but the problems that are possible to happen on V1, aren’t very bad.

@pringles wrote:

@atz wrote:

I don’t think so, as far as the firmware update threads tell me. The v2 may have corrected some of the hardware problems with V1, but the problems that are possible to happen on V1, aren’t very bad.

Besides, nobody started development work for Rockbox on the v2 Fuze yet, so it might take a while longer than the v1 to be ported.

Makes me glad I bought the v1.  :smiley:

Well if it isn’t as significant as “v2 sounds 10000x better than v1” then I don’t really care.

Thanks again for the Rockbox update.

Is Rockbox safe, because I don’t want to screw up anything.

you don’t have to worry about it yet. It’s not out for the Fuze right now.

I know, I’m just wondering.

@saxmaster765 wrote:
Is Rockbox safe, because I don’t want to screw up anything.

It’s pretty low-risk, and it’s easily uninstalled if you decide you don’t like it.

Generally speaking, that is. On all the players it’s available for.

Message Edited by gwk1967 on 04-12-2009 01:27 PM

Also, does it cost anything?

its free…

www.rockbox.org

Cool! thanks.

You can actually use un-official Rockbox on Fuze except that there’s some Battery Life issues. But for me it’s too complicated and I couldn’t get it to work but if anyone wants details, PM me or just post here

Message Edited by ATZ on 04-14-2009 10:34 AM

link plz

@smartinez281 wrote:
link plz

Three posts above yours.

@atz wrote:

Have you noticed the rash of ‘white screen’ issues that have recently cropped up here lately? Pretty much all Rev. 2 Fuzes from what I can surmise. This malady was virtually un-heard of when there was only 1 hardware model.

Also the playback speed/pitch bug that dominated the board (and almost sparked some fist-fights) for a few weeks . . . Rev. 2 models only.

And the issue with the volume suddenly (and without warning) increasing to Max blasting out people’s eardrums and no response from the control wheel? Yup, Rev. 2 units. Never heard of this either, until this hardware revision came out.

Other than that, there really isn’t any signifiant difference between the two.

Well thank you Tapeworm, that helped, made me a lot more confident.

My 2GB Fuze has officially been Rockbox’d, works well except for a some tiny bugs, haven’t really had time to test it properly because of a major and annoying bug, it froze on me.

How would you go about un-freezing your Fuze?

@atz wrote:

Well thank you Tapeworm, that helped, made me a lot more confident.

My 2GB Fuze has officially been Rockbox’d, works well except for a some tiny bugs, haven’t really had time to test it properly because of a major and annoying bug, it froze on me.

How would you go about un-freezing your Fuze?

There is NO rockbox for the Fuze! 

Mr. Conversion Box, are you challenging me? I won’t have any pictures now because I’m about to go sleep but if you’re really so keen to see Rockbox on my Fuze, I can always sort it out for you tomorrow.