Rockbox & V2's

I tested it for two days now, and deleted it again.

At the Moment there is noch Writesupport, so I’m not able to create a Database or save settings.

BUT I can’t wait for a stable release! Because of only ONE reason I will use Rockbox: GAPLESS Playback 

So, I got it working. Great software, sans the aforementioned glitches. I loaded up Rockboy though and no matter which ROM I load, the screen flickers to the point that the games are unplayable. Is this something inherit to the Fuze V2, or Rockboy itself, or is there some setting that I need to toggle?

The flickering is neither inherent to the Fuzev2 nor Rockboy. Rockbox on the Fuzev2 just has this screen flickering problem at the moment unfortunately. I hope it will be fixed soon. It seems to be worse the more the cpu is being used, for example if you scroll quickly while listening to music, or go on Rockboy. If you boost the cpu frequency in the debug menu, the screen starts flickering whether you are doing anything or not :D, so there is definitely a direct link between the cpu and the screen problem. So unfortunately anything that uses the cpu too much makes rockbox unusable atm (well aesthetically at least)…

@xanikseo wrote:
If you boost the cpu frequency in the debug menu, the screen starts flickering whether you are doing anything or not :D, so there is definitely a direct link between the cpu and the screen problem.

Edit:  Never mind, I figured it out - Scroll counter-clockwise increases it.

How do you boost the CPU frequency from the debug menu?  I can see the cpu frequency (40000000 on my V2 fuzes, and 62000000 on my V1’s), but how can I change it? 

Message Edited by Shiftlock on 04-14-2010 11:48 PM

@ninez wrote:

I’ve attempted the installation instructions as described above. Once I unplug my V2 from the USB, it states that the Firmware is being upgraded, and that it has completed. When I turn the V2 back on, at the top I see the Rockbox logo and above that “Firmware Loading” and “File Not Found” and the device simply shuts back off.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

I’m having this exact problem. I tried transferring the firmware file and the .rockbox folder in both MTP and MSC modes and I get the same error either way. All the files seem to be intact within the .rockbox folder but the “File Not Found” message still appears. As a side note, Windows will only allow the “.rockbox” folder name in MTP mode. In MSC, it won’t allow the period to precede the rest of the name. Could this be part of the issue?

@tsunamikitsune wrote:

@ninez wrote:

I’ve attempted the installation instructions as described above. Once I unplug my V2 from the USB, it states that the Firmware is being upgraded, and that it has completed. When I turn the V2 back on, at the top I see the Rockbox logo and above that “Firmware Loading” and “File Not Found” and the device simply shuts back off.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

I’m having this exact problem. I tried transferring the firmware file and the .rockbox folder in both MTP and MSC modes and I get the same error either way. All the files seem to be intact within the .rockbox folder but the “File Not Found” message still appears. As a side note, Windows will only allow the “.rockbox” folder name in MTP mode. In MSC, it won’t allow the period to precede the rest of the name. Could this be part of the issue?

That’s the issue. The folder must be copied in MSC mode, and must be named “.rockbox”, with the dot. If your almighty OS won’t let you do it, you can try creating it with rbutil, installing rockbox as if it were a diferent player, then replacing the contents from the folder with the fuzev2 ones.

Would hopping over to Linux and doing it there be a valid solution as well? :stuck_out_tongue:

Hopping over to the Rockbox site and making sure you are doing everything absolutely correctly would be even smarter. :wink:

@tsunamikitsune wrote:
Would hopping over to Linux and doing it there be a valid solution as well? :stuck_out_tongue:

Linux, *BSD, *Solaris, OSX, even Haiku or Symbian would get it done. 

Message Edited by TomJensen on 05-03-2010 05:45 PM

@tomjensen wrote:
Hmm, weird. Confirmed that you can’t make a “.dir” at the Windows GUI. It’s a restriction of Win Explorer, not of the OS. Works fine in a console. Likewise, if a zip file has a .dir, it will unzip with the structure retained.

It has even more funny limitations. Try to make a folder named “con” in your desktop…

There’s nothing strange about it. ‘con’ is a reserved word, likewise with ‘nul’ and various other device names. I’m surprised at the ‘.’ limitation, though.

Whoa! con: the specified device name is invalid.

do you have any other words like con?

really weird and cool

How can we initialize the database from Linux?

I know the v2 build right now can’t initialize on device and in the Rockbox “unusable” info it mentiosn that the database can be initialized on the PC but doesn’t indicate how…

If someone knows… Thanks

@xanikseo wrote:

For all those interested it’s worth bearing in mind that RB is good for:

…<snip>

And not so good for: 

Video (only supports mpg1/mpg2, meaning videos will take up more space for the same quality)

If you’re happy with that, go ahead and install RockBox on your Fuze. If not, and you install RockBox, you may be disappointed. 

Message Edited by Xanikseo on 04-11-2010 11:33 PM

My videos were converted with Video4Fuze (.avi format) & showed up in OF. In RB, video folder properties indicate 29 files in the folder, but none show up.  I changed settings to show all files. Now I can see all .avi files, but trying to open them does nothing. Does it mean .avi are not supported by RB?

Some of my pictures (JPG’s) also don’t display and they show up instead as .bmp’s and trying to open them doesn’t work in RB

Message Edited by mnong on 04-23-2010 02:04 PM

@csavery wrote:

How can we initialize the database from Linux?

I know the v2 build right now can’t initialize on device and in the Rockbox “unusable” info it mentiosn that the database can be initialized on the PC but doesn’t indicate how…

If someone knows… Thanks

Try with the simulator, and then copying the database file to your fuze.

@mnong wrote:

Does it mean .avi are not supported by RB

Have a look at the manual for Fuzev1, video playback of MPEG files is described, and there’s a link to the wiki for conversion instructions:

http://download.rockbox.org/daily/manual/rockbox-sansafuze/rockbox-buildch11.html#x14-24100011.3.8
Message Edited by funman on 04-23-2010 03:11 PM

A couple quick ones,

Do I have to use .31 fw?

Will the volume be capped at ‘normal’?

Cheers:smiley:

@ssorgatem wrote:

Try with the simulator, and then copying the database file to your fuze.

Thanks. I tried a test of this and it looks like it will work.

I wonder if there is an updated patched v2 firmware link available. The one posted a few pages back is dead now and I thought it may be nice to try again and see if improved.

Edit: I managed to get and test the latest Rockbox firmware. It’s working really great so far. The settings can be saved now, the database works and it’s been playing for a long time with no crashing yet. Pretty exciting that this may be getting close now. The devs really deserve a standing ovation on this. 

Thanks to all working on getting Fuze v2 stable. Great work!

Message Edited by csavery on 05-12-2010 03:54 AM

I just put latest daily build of Rockbox on my Fuze v2…fantastic!  It seems that everything works except the USB, which doesn’t matter too much as it’s easy to switch off the player and then you can connect it to a PC via USB as before.  I’m really impressed.  Gapless playback!!!  I feel like I have a new player, kind of a shrunk version of my iRiver H140 and H340.  Rockbox is amazing!  Gapless playback!!!

p.s.  Gapless playback!!!