Rockbox & Sansa Connect

There is actually one brave soul making a hearty effort at opening up the Connect to alternative firmware:  Sandisk Sansa Connect

IF anyone on this forum still reads and has the desire (and hopefully the knowledge) to contribute, I urge you to do so.  I myself will assist if given direction, but with no previous experience - I am currently at a loss.

HACK THE PLANET!!!

Bless this mans heart. Didn’t sansa use to give the code to the rockbox team? Hell, thats the very reason I buy sansa products. WHAT HAPPENED!? WHAT ARE THEY THINKING!?

Message Edited by kgonepostl on 12-30-2009 07:38 AM

SanDisk’s never given code to the Rockbox team.  The Rockbox team has developed versions of Rockbox that work on Sansa players, but wasn’t done with any assistance from SanDisk.

Not really sure what you mean by “what are they thinking.”  Of what benefit would it be to Sandisk to give code to the Rockbox team?

Even if Sandisk wanted to help Rockbox, I don’t believe they could. There are chips in Sandisk players made by other companies. Sharing the code would reveal details of those chips that Sandisk isn’t allowed to share. This is why Rockbox is forced to reverse-engineer everything. (I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the same with all MP3 players. Has any manufacturer ever help Rockbox do their thing?)