Rockbox on the Zip

HI, Im trying to install Rockbox on my player. 

Do you install the bootloader first as the zip isnt in the list of players and do you select clip+ for the bootloader?

Nice easy steps would be helpfull. 

Thanks.

@solsoporos wrote:

HI, Im trying to install Rockbox on my player. 

Do you install the bootloader first as the zip isnt in the list of players and do you select clip+ for the bootloader?

Nice easy steps would be helpfull. 

Thanks.

The Clip+ bootloader will not work. And if you’re not experienced with Rockbox, I would strongly advise you wait a little while for the port to advance further.

1 Like

We haven’t released an official bootloader for the Clip Zip yet. The ports only existed for a few days. Once things have stabilized a bit the official bootloader will be released and the tools updated to install it automatically.

That is great news! Now if only they can get the fuze+ to work.

@njones wrote:

That is great news! Now if only they can get the fuze+ to work.

The Fuze+ has actually been working a little longer then the Zip, but at the moment it too does’t have proper install tools or a bootloader released.

Looking forward to the usable versions on both of them. Love rockbox on my fuze v1 and v2 and my clip+.

@marvin_martian wrote:

The Clip+ bootloader will not work. And if you’re not experienced with Rockbox, I would strongly advise you wait a little while for the port to advance further.

Thanks for the reply, I’ll keep an eye on the rockbox builds.

Installed Rockbox yesterday and all working nicely. It loads nice and fast and I’m now able to upload  the rest of my MP3’s that I had to leave off because of the sansa database size limitiation. I would recommend hanging on if youre new to rockbox until the build has matured as you dont want to end up bricking youre player. There’s a good thread over at anythingbutipod… 

How can I try it? Give us some instruction?

Thx.

@tron wrote:

Thx.

www.rockbox.org

@tron wrote:

Thx.

Probably the best source for a guide and walk-through:

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66292

And, other threads on the topic as well (such as themes–i.e., screen designs–for Rockbox on the Clip Zip):

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=228

Do note:  this all still is in beta; some things may not work as fully as you would like or they hopefully will; and there always is a risk (i.e., don’t necessarily do this with your one and only holiday gift for your child …).

1 Like

Thank you! :smiley:

How is the FM reception with ROCKBox installed?  Any different than the OF?  Has RDS been implemented?

How is battery life with Vorbis?

Thanks!

@tonybigs wrote:

How is the FM reception with ROCKBox installed?  Any different than the OF?  Has RDS been implemented?

How is battery life with Vorbis?

Thanks!

RDS is not in the main build yet, but fairly close: http://www.rockbox.org/tracker/task/12370 I don’t think anyone has tested battery life yet, but it should be quite good for Vorbis unless theres some bugs.

Lots of people miss some of the information that was on the Clip+ screen, and some have said they have no interest in album art on this 96x96 screen. Well, problem solved!

We really need to get the theme site up and running for the Zip so that people can actually find these themes :slight_smile:

OK, so one of the most annoying things about the stock firmware is that when I update the contents of the internal memory (which I do fairly frequently when syncing podcasts), upon disconnecting the Clip Zip it insists on reading the contents of both the internal memory and the external card in order to update its database.  I have a 16GB, nearly fully loaded card in the player, so this update takes a long time.

From my past experiences with Rockbox on other players, I believe that Rockbox would improve this experience due to having a background DB updating process - true?  This is still the case for Rockbox on the Clip Zip?

Thanks in advance.

Yep, Rockbox doesnt suffer the dreaded updating database message.  I installed it a few weeks ago and best thing I ever did.

Its out for the Zip and working great for playback. ITs still under development but does everything I need.

Hey, thanks for your reply.  Funny, I *just* finished testing out Rockbox on my Sansa Clip Zip, when your reply came in.  

Good stuff but the USB isn’t working yet (I see there’s a patch, but it appears to be something you apply to source code, and I don’t do builds), so I’m going to hold off until they have a stable release.

@promisedplanet wrote:

Hey, thanks for your reply.  Funny, I *just* finished testing out Rockbox on my Sansa Clip Zip, when your reply came in.  

Good stuff but the USB isn’t working yet (I see there’s a patch, but it appears to be something you apply to source code, and I don’t do builds), so I’m going to hold off until they have a stable release.

There isn’t USB on the Clip+ yet either, and that’s been stable for over a year now. :wink: