Ripping advice

I am ready to bite the bullet and re-rip my CD collection.  Previously I ripped it using Windows Media Player and ripped everything to WMA Lossless.  That obviously did not work with the Clip+, so I have been re-ripping individual CDs as I wanted/needed them.

After reading these forums, I have decided to re-rip using Media Monkey and rip to FLAC on my hard drive, then have MM convert to WMA for use on the Clip+ (I want to be able to load lots of different music on the Clip+ so that I have music for whatever mood I happen to be in).

So, that being said, I have the following questions…

1.  When ripping to FLAC, MM give me the option to set the “Compression Level”.  By default this value is “6”.  Is this a good setting or would a lower setting be preferable.  I am not worried about the amount of disk space that will be used since I can get a good 2TB disk for < $100.

2.  Is WMA a good format for using on the Clip+ as far as sound quality and size?

3.  When converting from FLAC to WMA, I have the following options, and am not sure what the best settings are:

Type of bitrate, Bitrate, Sample rate and Channels.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

EricBr

You should be able to just convert the WMAL to Flac, and not have to re-rip. Then as far as converting, there are instructions here in the forum if you search on how to replace the time-limited LAME mp3 encoder in Mediamonkey with a perpetual one…do that, then convert your flacs with mediamonkey to the VBR(variable bitrate) setting of ~192kbps. You can use the preset that says “Standard: VBR ~192kbps- Very High Quality+”, that is a great compromise between ultimate sound and saving space. Mediamonkey can also ReplayGain for you as well, which doesn’t work with WMA.

Marvin,

Thanks for the information.

Eric