RIP my Clip... or not

It survived being laundered on two occasions and succumbed the third time. No, it wasn’t an experiment; it’s just so small I kept forgetting it in a cargo pocket.

Kudos to SanDisk for it holding up to such abuse. In fact, it still works when connected to external power and the tracks weren’t even lost. So presumably only the battery actually failed. Amazing.

So, now I am wondering whether to try replacing the battery or to just relegate it to non-portable duty in the car or home receiver… thus rendering it undead.

3 washings–you have the makings for a TV endorsement ad for the Clip.

:wink:

But all may not be lost, yet.

1st, are you sure that the player has dried out 100%?  (I assume so, from your earlier experiences, but want to cover all bases.)  If not, let it dry out further in a warm (not hot) location, such as a laundry room. 

2nd, if the player is 100% dry but still not functioning, it may be that the violent action of the washer/dryer has caused a lead to the battery to become undone–this has been known to happen.  What you can do is pry the shell of the Clip apart (carefully; it seems to be easiest starting at the on/off switch, using thin plastic tools so as to avoid marring the case)–there have been posts here on this, that you can search for (search box at the upper left).  And then check and see if one of the leads has come undone.  If so, you can solder it back, or glue it back using conductive epoxy.

3rd, if there is no lead issue, you actually can purchase a replacement battery and insert it.  Here’s a very recent thread on this, with an eBay source seemingly for a Clip battery at less than $4 shipped (wow!).  At that price, I’d be tempted to try it.  (Usually, I’d just recommend to go out and buy a Clip+.)

Keep us advised; and good luck!

edit:  The earlier thread. 

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clipplus&thread.id=6001&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

Message Edited by Miikerman on 08-07-2010 11:29 PM

3 washings–you have the makings for a TV endorsement ad for the Clip.

:wink:

But all may not be lost, yet.

1st, are you sure that the player has dried out 100%?  (I assume so, from your earlier experiences, but want to cover all bases.)  If not, let it dry out further in a warm (not hot) location, such as a laundry room. 

2nd, if the player is 100% dry but still not functioning, it may be that the violent action of the washer/dryer has caused a lead to the battery to become undone–this has been known to happen.  What you can do is pry the shell of the Clip apart (carefully; it seems to be easiest starting at the on/off switch, using thin plastic tools so as to avoid marring the case)–there have been posts here on this, that you can search for (search box at the upper left).  And then check and see if one of the leads has come undone.  If so, you can solder it back, or glue it back using conductive epoxy.

3rd, if there is no lead issue, you actually can purchase a replacement battery and insert it.  Here’s a very recent thread on this, with an eBay source seemingly for a Clip battery at less than $4 shipped (wow!).  At that price, I’d be tempted to try it.  (Usually, I’d just recommend to go out and buy a Clip+.)

Keep us advised; and good luck!

The earlier thread:

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clipplus&thread.id=6001&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

I completely fail to understand those battery prices. I just purchased a Canon compact camera. I got a spare battery for 3.72, shipping included. So far it’s exceeded the expected number of shots and still going strong.