Rhapsody Audio Quality Problem

I’ve had a 2GB Fuze for about 2 years now and haven’t had any problems with it and Rhapsody tracks.

I had a 4GB Micro SD HC card in it most of this time and everything was fine. I decided to up the card to a 8GB Micro SD HC card.

Now when i listen to newly transferred tracks from the Rhapsody client the sound is choppy, with pops, clicks, and stutters.

Rhapsody tracks on the internal memory still sound ok and MP3 files that I put on the new card sound perfect to.

Any & all Rhapsody tracks I transfer to the External 8GB have this sound problem mention above.

Could anyone help me with solving this problem?

Thanks

Turn on the pop and click filter.

Just kidding.  I would bet that the file allocation table is set up with 4kb clusters on your card.  Format the device to FAT32 with 32kb clusters, which will reduce processor overhead.  Did you by chance format the card using Windows?  If so, the cluster size may have defaulted to 4kb.

My e280v2 drove me nuts until  we figured out the root cause.

I would love to see the Fuze have an option to format either the internal or external memory, but this is isolated to the onboard memory only.   Being able to refresh the entire card in one step would be nice.

Let us know if formatting (with proper cluster size) solves the issue for you!

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

I did format using windows. I reformatted using the FAT32 with 32kb clusters.

A few songs sound perfect, some sound better but still bad, and some are as bad as ever.

Sorry the say that is problem is yet unsolved.

Let’s have a closer look at the 8GB card.  What brand is it?  When you address the card, what is its capacity?

Bob  :cry:

The problem might be the 8GB card since you mentioned that the audio quality is fine when on your previous card. Another user here posted a tool on how to check if the card is bad but unfortunately i cant find it :smileyvery-happy:

Found it.

h2test2

I thought it was here somewhere…  Try this strangely named application,H2testw v1.4   It might yield some clues about that 8GB device.  On the other hand, it might just be a bad card. 

I prefer to stick with SanDisk cards, as they have a great warranty, and I haven’t seen a dud yet.  Not that it can’t happen, of course- if a card is going to fail, it most often will happen early in the device’s lifetime.

Bob  :wink:

I don’t have it with me at the moment so I’ll have to test it later.

The card is a SanDisk. And as pointed out earlier MP3s play fine but the WMAs from Rhapsody don’t. I don’t know how that would relate to the card being bad.

@emperormar wrote:

I had a 4GB Micro SD HC card in it most of this time and everything was fine. I decided to up the card to a 8GB Micro SD HC card.

Now when i listen to newly transferred tracks from the Rhapsody client the sound is choppy, with pops, clicks, and stutters.

It all started when you switched to another card ayt? Try to use the 4GB card again and see if you are getting the same result. If not, then problem is indeed with the 8GB card.

The old 4GB card sounded perfect.

The 8GB had no errors according to the application posted.

The problem does persist with the 8GB card.

Again MP3s play fine but the WMAs from Rhapsody don’t.

Even if the card is bad I’d sure like to know why the WMAs plays bad but the MP3s