ReplayGain Support

I want ReplayGain support.  Want to be able to do this on the player if no RG data is there, or re-analyze and adjust on the player by album or track gain(toggleable).  Should get a colored dot or two on the display for the RG status on devices without full displays and another field on the ones with color screens.

Thanks,

Mike

That would be kind of useful, but why not use MP3gain to actually adjust the volume of the file because then you wouldn’t have to worry, any audio player would play your songs equally by default!

Because i’d like the ability to toggle between track and album gain.  When shuffling, I usually want all my songs the same volume.  When listening to say, Pink Floyd - The Wall though I want album gain.

I do use MP3Gain, and like it.  But this is my feature list.  Get on or get out. Ha!  Just kidding. 

Trying to list what would make these the best players on Earth.  The sound and build quality are there, I believe.  Now to just get the little OS tweaked and a few bugs fixed.  Wish I had been on the design/test team prior to the release.  Not that I could have written a single line of code.  But I know whats gold and what ■■■■■.  Some no-brainer stuff slipped through the cracks and got by on some of these things.  

Make no mistake, I like my players, this is the forum to help make them better. So here I am.

Mike

The problem with modifying the file direct is it irreversibly changes the audio and at the same time losing a little bit of quality - thus replaygain was born.

I second this lol. I posted this in the firmware 1.0 thread in Sansa Clip:

My Proposal:

Something like this allows maximum flexibility for the user:

fb2k rg plugin 

So based on the playback modes and the playlist of the clip instead…

Replaygain [submenu in settings and music settings]

Feature                    -> On/Off [ENABLE/DISABLE ENTIRE FEATURE so they don’t have to set ‘none’ for everything]

Normal [submenu, settings for each category]

[Play] Song          -> Album/Track/None [replaygain tag to use]

[Play all] Music
[Play all] Artist
[Play all] Album

[Play all] Genre
[Play] Track

Repeat [submenu, settings for each category]

[Play all] Music
[Play all] Artist
[Play all] Album

[Play all] Genre
[Play] Track

Shuffle [submenu, settings for each category]

[Play all] Music
[Play all] Artist
[Play all] Album

[Play all] Genre
[Play] Track

Examples:

*User selects a single song from the Music->Songs->{song}, the clip would use the Song value depending on the mode.

*User selects a single song from the Music->Artist->(Artist Name)>(Album)->{song}, the clip would use the Track value depending on the mode.

*Assuming shuffle/repeat off, user selects “Play All” in Music->Albums->“Play All”. RG value used would be Normal_Album,assuming it’s set to “Track” the clip would use the “Track” RG value.

Let’s say that song finishes and goes to track 2, since it’s still in “Play All” Albums, it uses Normal_Album again and “Track”.

Let’s say right before the song ends the user manually selects an individual track from a random album. So we use Normal_Track, assuming it’s set to “Track”, it uses “Track” RG value.

**So the user would be able to use Track RG value when selecting Play All in albums, and be able to use Track RG value when switching to a random song.

**So the settings above would let the user choose exactly what he wants.

Since shuffle overrides repeat it’ll just ignore it when it’s enabled.

Hopefully what I wrote is understandable lol :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t think this would be too hard would it? Before a song is played or selected - do the Pre-play check, select setting to use, read setting then read tags, and adjust output gain.

If not that then at least:

* Preference -> Track or Album Gain or None (disable)

* Option of whether to use track/album gain when the main preference tag is missing

Message Edited by KCE on 10-12-2008 02:01 AM

Yes, all my MP3 files have the replaygain tags in them, so the ability to use this feature would be great. As has been stated, that ability to set the preferences to use the album or track based on what you’re playing back (full albums vs shuffling on a playlist etc).