ReplayGain question, using metaflac

I have read about using MediaMonkey as the “recommended” tool to insert RG tags. I despise this decision and I hate MediaMonkey. I am not keen to foobar2000 either, although it does everything else. However, I run it through WINE and I am waiting for the next releases of Songbird. 

My question is, is FUZE going to have an issue with:

metaflac --add-replay-gain *.flac

Looks like it insert RG values in the similar way MM does…

Will it be fine?

Will it trigger any bug? 

BourneShell wrote:

I have read about using MediaMonkey as the “recommended” tool to insert RG tags. I despise this decision and I hate MediaMonkey. I am not keen to foobar2000 either, although it does everything else. However, I run it through WINE and I am waiting for the next releases of Songbird. 

My question is, is FUZE going to have an issue with:

metaflac --add-replay-gain *.flac

Looks like it insert RG values in the similar way MM does…

Will it be fine?

Will it trigger any bug? 

What don’t you like about MediaMonkey?

What I don’t like MediaMonkey:

• Windows-only application (and I have retired Windows OS).

• MM is like Guns’N’Roses… there is a LOT of people who love it… yet, the other half absolutely hate it… for obvious usability reasons (I can see why foobar2000 users would never like something like MM.)

• As a Linux users, I would have hoped that Sansa would implement stuff considering the Linux userbase, that perhaps can’t be actually measured, but it’s huge out there. Developing solutions only Windows-based is not enough.

Last time I looked, the Linux userbase was about 1% of computer owners. It’s probably more now with Linux netbooks, but even if it’s 5%–and I doubt it is that large–it would require a lot of software engineering to go through for a small market. SanDisk is pretty slow to fix bugs anyway, and I’m sure they have decided that it’s better to keep their programmers working for the vast Windows majority than porting things to Linux.

Welcome to the jungle. 

Message Edited by Black-Rectangle on 01-28-2010 09:57 PM

MediaMonkey is an AIO (all-in-one) type of program, which is generally preferred by casual users and hated by geeks, or at least by nuxniks. Linux peeps come from the old school of Unix philosophy, where programs where small is beautiful, and where each prog should do one thing well.

I’m kind of a tweener. I can see the advantages of AIOs and why they’re popular (e.g. iTunes). But they also add an additional layer of complexity to what is already complicated, are generally slow and bloated and buggy, and when there is a glitch, you don’t know what exactly causes it. Seriously, what do you do when WMP goes weird, aside from, well, reinstall it and hope Murphy is on your side? That said, MM looks pretty good, and is only 7MB, so I wouldn’t mind trying it out some time.

@BourneShell

I thought it’s SOP for nuxniks to try first and ask questions later? And getting militant w/ vendors about Lin-specific support is so 1990. If it’s not there then it ain’t gonna. Anyway, whatever tagger you use, check to see if the RG tag is recognized in the Fuze by going to Track Info, i.e. select the song and click menu button. Should show up on 2nd page if it’s seen.

I can’t see any reason why adding replaygain tags to flacs should cause any kind of issue.  The Fuze supports Flac and Flac tags.  The worst that could happen is that the player ignores the replay gain tags. 

And whatever application you use, Windows, OS X, BSD, Solaris GNU/Linux or anything else, they all use the same tools as the backend for writing replay gain, the only real difference is the way the binaries are compiled and the user interface (if any) of the front end.  Write the replay gain tags with MM or foobar or a command or a bash script, same thing happens. 

Anyway if you’d prefer to add the replaygain tags with a script then a great place to start is http://www.bobulous.org.uk/misc/Replay-Gain-in-Linux.html and its accompanying page http://www.bobulous.org.uk/coding/find-directory-tree.html

This includes some working sample mp3gain scripts, which recurse through directories applying track and/or album gain as you prefer.  They are are extremely easily adapted to your preferences, and for use with vorbisgain and metaflac, probably aacgain too though I didn’t try that. 

As always,  try it out first on some albums/tracks you’ve copied somewhere for this purpose, just in case it all turns to poop.