Replay Gain - Linux

Without going into a long dissertation about id3v2.x I need two questions answered before I purchase a Zip to replace my now-broken Clip+.

1. Precisely what versions of ID3v2 does the zip support/require? Is it 2.3 or 2.4 and don’t guess?

2. Precisely what frame is the Zip looking at for replay gain information.

MP3 files are “adjusted” by setting a relative volume adjustment frame in their ID3 tags.  There  is a  frame  for this, called “RVA2”, that does exactly what we want, and is a native frame in ID3v2.4.

ID3v2.3 uses an “XRVA” tag with the same format as an RVA2 tag.  This isn’t a native frame, but since it starts with an “X”, it’s considered experimental.

This becomes an issue in Linux. Windows users are probably unaware of the version and frame differences - content to utlize whatever GatesCo gives them. In contrast, many Linux applications have a choice of version. OTOH, Amarok is now inisiting on 2.4 and will trample on anyrthing else as soon as cover art is added.

This was not an issue with the Clip+ because of the lack of cover art display. I simply used software to change the gain in each file to normalize to a specific decible level.

Replaygain tags in ID3v2 are fully standardized, so any compliant implement, linux or not, will do the right thing. If you want to know the specifics, you can check out the specification. However, it shouldn’t matter at all unless you’re working on an implementation of the standard.

I appreciate your reply. However, as I have fully explained, the ID3 tags are most certainly not"standardized." Moreover, they are not upward compatible. This is a very simple question:

1. Does the Zip expect ID3v2.3 or ID3v2.3 and:

2. What frame identification does the zip expect?

Unfortunately, neither of these issues is resolved by revieewing the documentation. I always RTFM before I ask a question.

@dch wrote:

Without going into a long dissertation about id3v2.x I need two questions answered before I purchase a Zip to replace my now-broken Clip+.

1. Precisely what versions of ID3v2 does the zip support/require? Is it 2.3 or 2.4 and don’t guess?

ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1

1. Precisely what frame is the Zip looking at for replay gain information.

Haven’t the slightest idea.

@dch wrote:

1. What frame identification does the zip expect?

Unfortunately, neither of these issues is resolved by revieewing the documentation. I always RTFM before I ask a question.

?

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=ReplayGain_specification