Registers empty yet says there is only 100MB left. Help please.

I only use my Clip for audiobooks. Problem: while listening to an audiobook, I put it on pause, turned it back on and when I did every book on it was erased and the message says: empty. I then tried to transfer a book from overdrive as usual and it would not transfer because the Sansa Clip internal memory says there is only 100 MB left out of 1.87GB. This is impossible as there is absolutely nothing at all downloaded onto my Clip. Please help. I have no idea what to do. Thank you.

@silverfusion wrote:
I only use my Clip for audiobooks. Problem: while listening to an audiobook, I put it on pause, turned it back on and when I did every book on it was erased and the message says: empty. I then tried to transfer a book from overdrive as usual and it would not transfer because the Sansa Clip internal memory says there is only 100 MB left out of 1.87GB. This is impossible as there is absolutely nothing at all downloaded onto my Clip. Please help. I have no idea what to do. Thank you.

I think there is maybe two ways to go about troubleshooting this:      A clean format, reload.     or checking the Clips memory with a windows machine and running Chkdsk on it.     I prefer the Format myself as this will clear most gremlins.   But a chkdsk /f  may work just as well.

To Format the Sansa Clips memory go to the Settings Menu >> Format >> Yes    …   Then reload your music and audiobooks.

To use chkdsk (taken from the Clips FAQ)

Contributor: c1u31355

Getting weird or blank file names you can’t delete? Songs stop working in certain albums? Running check disk may help.

Here’s the workaround:

1. Connect in MSC / Rhapsody Mode.
  2. Open My Computer and take note of the drive letter; example; e:/ or f:/
  3. Left click Start then Run: and type in chkdsk x:/f (x being the drive letter that was previously noted). 

*/f**   **: Fixes errors on the disk.

Microsoft check disk instructions for XP
Check Disk on Wikipedia

Hope this helps,

Thank you. I did format as you instructed me… and you solved my problem!   I sincerely do appreciate your taking the time to help me.

Silverfusion