Refusal to deal

I bought a Fuze 4GB 4 months ago it won’t turn on, I was using it with the firmware version 1.02.26. I contacted the distributor here in Chennai, India. He told me that the Fuze model is an outdated one and cannot be covered under warranty. I’m confused, I still have 8 months warranty and the bill. Is it possible to reset the player by myself. Thanks in advance

Message Edited by shriraam100 on 07-05-2009 12:03 AM

Is it possible to update the firmware via sd card my computer is not recognizing my player.

Now another warranty issue, mail your problem to indiasupport@sandisk.com for super prompt replies. Sandisk advices us to throw the player after use, No warranty for their products in India… Luckily my player is working… There are similar problems discussed in this forum why don’t you read those ? Sandisk what prevents you from supporting Fuze users in India ?

Message Edited by ra28 on 07-04-2009 01:35 PM

@shriraam100 wrote:
I bought a Fuze 4GB 4 months ago it won’t turn on, I was using it with the firmware version 1.02.26. I contacted the distributor here in Chennai, India. He told me that the Fuze model is an outdated one and cannot be covered under warranty. I’m confused, I still have 8 months warranty and the bill. Is it possible to reset the player by myself. Thanks in advance
Message Edited by shriraam100 on 07-03-2009 11:43 PM

This is a lie! The distributor is trying to avoid honoring the warranty. Basically ripping you off! This is NOT SanDisk not honoring their warranty, despite what you may hear from others here.

You have the latest firmware version available, but no you can’t update it from an SD memroy card. Have you tried resetting it? Slide the spring-loaded power switch on the side of the unit to the upper position and hold it there for 20 seconds. Release, then slide it up momentarily to trun it on normally.

Ya I tried that step, still it is not working. What am I supposed to do ? I even sent an e-mail to Sandisk, Sandisk din’t reply to mail not even an acknowledgement. Is it possible to repair it by myself ? Why the distributor is dishonoring the warranty ? can some one explain this ? Sandisk should contact the distributor regarding this.

Message Edited by shriraam100 on 07-04-2009 09:18 AM

Warranty failed, what to do ? distributor denies warranty, manufacturer denies warranty… who else gonna deny ?

Message Edited by ra28 on 07-04-2009 10:28 PM

Ya I got it, this comes under refusal to deal.

Sounds like you’re dealing with some sleazy retailers.

Your retailer is simply not telling the truth. Why don’t you visit him with your warranty and a police officer.

You might also contact the Asian sales office of SanDisk and report the retailer. (And while you’re at it ask them about honoring your warranty.) 

Asia/Pacific Rim Regional Sales Office, Hong Kong
SanDisk Hong Kong Ltd
Suite 902-903, Bank of East Asia Harbour View Centre
56 Gloucester Road
Wanchai, Hong Kong
Phone: 852-2712-0501
Fax: 852-2712-9385 

Can you get a connection from the Fuze to the computer? 

shriraam100 wrote:
Ya I tried that step, still it is not working. What am I supposed to do?

Sorry you’re having trouble. According to others here, the Tech Support phone line in India is down, or they’re extremely busy. As I don’t live there, I can’t confirm nor deny this, but if you can get through they should be able to help you. I’ve asked for clarification of the situation from the moderator. But you have to allow a reasonable amount of time for a response. It’s a holiday week-end here in the States.

I even sent an e-mail to Sandisk, Sandisk din’t reply to mail not even an acknowledgement.

Again, you have to allow time for an answer. Truth be told, e-mails only get responded to after all other contacts are taken care of. In other words, when they have to time to respond. That’s why it’s always better to call. E-mails are low-priority when there are people holding on the phone.

Is it possible to repair it by myself?

Maybe. You haven’t given us very many details to go on here. More background information could help someone help you. Based on the minimal info you offered, I suggested a soft rest. You said it didn’t work. Did you try it for at least 20 seconds? Did you try it for any longer? Did you try it more than once?

What happens when you plug it into your computer? And what OS iin on that computer? Are you using the back USB ports? Is it maybe just a case of the battery being dead and needing a charge?

See, there are many un-answered questions. There may be other things to try, but you must start with the simplest first. Then again, you may have a defective unit that needs replacing.

Why the distributor is dishonoring the warranty?

You’d have to ask him.

can some one explain this ?

This is a User’s Forum, so unless someone from SanDisk gets involved, we can’t answer this.

Sandisk should contact the distributor regarding this.

Maybe they should (and will) . . . If in fact he is a ‘distributor’ and not simply a ‘retailer’ or ‘reseller’. Distributors are bound by certain rules & guidelines in order to have the privelige of being a distributor. But usually these are not the ones selling the products to the general public. The distributors generally sell large quantities to ‘retailers’ who then sell it to you & I. The distributors are a ‘middle-man’ between the company (in this case SanDisk) and the retailer (the store or dealer you buy the unit or product from). The distributor is usually not involved in accepting returns as they are niether the one that sold it directly to you, nor the manufacturer who made the faulty product.

So I’m not sure who you bought it from, or their ‘status’. but THEY should be the one to first honor the product’s warranty, as they will in turn recieve credit from SanDisk for the faulty unit. It is in their best interest to do this; to take care of their customers so they come back in the future to spend more money with them.

At least that’s the way it is here in the States. I can’t speak for customs or ethics in India.

shriraam100 wrote:

Sorry you’re having trouble. According to others here, the Tech Support phone line in India is down, or they’re extremely busy. As I don’t live there, I can’t confirm nor deny this, but if you can get through they should be able to help you. I’ve asked for clarification of the situation from the moderator. But you have to allow a reasonable amount of time for a response. It’s a holiday week-end here in the States.

I even sent an e-mail to Sandisk, Sandisk din’t reply to mail not even an acknowledgement.

Again, you have to allow time for an answer. Truth be told, e-mails only get responded to after all other contacts are taken care of. In other words, when they have to time to respond. That’s why it’s always better to call. E-mails are low-priority when there are people holding on the phone.

Is it possible to repair it by myself?

Maybe. You haven’t given us very many details to go on here. More background information could help someone help you. Based on the minimal info you offered, I suggested a soft reset. You said it didn’t work. Did you try it for at least 20 seconds? Did you try it for any longer? Did you try it more than once?

What happens when you plug it into your computer? And what OS is on that computer? Are you using the back USB ports? Is it maybe just a case of the battery being dead and needing a charge?

See, there are many un-answered questions. There may be other things to try, but you must start with the simplest first. Then again, you may have a defective unit that needs replacing.

Why the distributor is dishonoring the warranty?

You’d have to ask him.

can some one explain this ?

This is a User’s Forum, so unless someone from SanDisk gets involved, we can’t answer this.

Sandisk should contact the distributor regarding this.

Maybe they should (and will) . . . If in fact he is a ‘distributor’ and not simply a ‘retailer’ or ‘reseller’. Distributors are bound by certain rules & guidelines in order to have the privelige of being a distributor. But usually these are not the ones selling the products to the general public. The distributors generally sell large quantities to ‘retailers’ who then sell it to you & I. The distributors are a ‘middle-man’ between the company (in this case SanDisk) and the retailer (the store or dealer you buy the unit or product from). The distributor is usually not involved in accepting returns as they are niether the one that sold it directly to you, nor the manufacturer who made the faulty product.

So I’m not sure who you bought it from, or their ‘status’. but THEY should be the one to first honor the product’s warranty, as they will in turn recieve credit from SanDisk for the faulty unit. It is in their best interest to do this; to take care of their customers so they come back in the future to spend more money with them.

At least that’s the way it is here in the States. I can’t speak for customs or ethics in India.

@tapeworm wrote:

@shriraam100 wrote:

calling is always the best, but there are no working support numbers to call

Let’s try to see what we have at this point, looking at the Fuze.

When you plug it in to the USB port, let us know if the device will power up.  Open a Windows Explorer (My Computer) window, and see if the device is recognized.

If nothing happens on the Fuze’s display (it won’t power up when plugged in), unplug the device, then hold the power switch in the ON position for 30 seconds, giving it a chance to soft reset.

After resetting, try powering up the device (not plugged in to the PC at this point).  Does anything happen?

Lastly, with the device OFF, slide the power switch all the way down to the HOLD position.  Press and hold the center button while connecting the USB cable.  Let’s see if it will be recognized in MSC mode.  If the device responds, you can reinstall the firmware in MSC mode, or run chkdsk on the Sansa as described here.

To find the drive letter assigned to the Sansa, for chkdsk, look in Windows Explorer for the first letter alphabetically given to the Sansa, this is the internal memory.  The command will be chkdsk e: /f for example, if the Sansa is drive “e”.

µsansa

Message Edited by microsansa on 07-06-2009 10:51 PM

Its totally dead, none of my computers recognizes it. I even tried the 30 seconds reset option and the hold switch reset specified but it won’t turn on. The main problem is with the distributor and Sandisk they’re not willing to involve in this issue, I don’t know why Sandisk is not trying to solve this problem. Is Sandisk dumping all the faulty products in India or the distributor selling faulty products ? How can a manufacturer/distributor dishonor the warranty ? Still I have 8 months warranty and the bill.

Message Edited by shriraam100 on 07-06-2009 01:54 AM

If you keep repeating yourself - and ignore someone’s suggestion, then you’re not likely to get anyone else to try to help you.

The last user suggested that you press the hold and center button while connecting your Fuze and you ignored him to rant about the distributor.

I said I tried. Why don’t you read the reply before typing ?

Message Edited by shriraam100 on 07-06-2009 04:41 AM

These persons will never give you a solution, they’re just bots run by Sandisk.

ra28,

I am far from a bot.  The issue concerning India support cannot be solved on a holiday weekend.  The objective here is to try and help you.  There are many users here willing to suggest solutions, if you give them a chance.

Quite often, with computers, trying “one more time” or starting methodically froom the beginning, without assumptions, will result in success.

There is no evil conspiracy on the part of SanDisk to “dump” defective products into the market, regardless of world location.  The issue regarding contacts can only be dealt with during normal operating hours.  Give it a chance.

µsansa

ra28 wrote:

Now another warranty issue, mail your problem to indiasupport@sandisk.com for super prompt replies. Sandisk advices us to throw the player after use, No warranty for their products in India… Luckily my player is working… There are similar problems discussed in this forum why don’t you read those ? Sandisk what prevents you from supporting Fuze users in India ?

Message Edited by ra28 on 07-04-2009 01:35 PM

SanDisk offers a 1 year limited warranty in all regions including India. If you are having issues with your device please send an email to support@sandisk.com. In addition to email support you can contact SanDisk phone support for India as well. 

India  (English)
000-800-100-3277  
indiasupport@sandisk.com  M-F | 10:30am-7:30pm Local India time  

@microsansa wrote:

The command will be chkdsk e: /f for example, if the Sansa is drive f.

µsansa

Excuse moir, but didn’t you mean the Sansa drive would be e? /f tells ChekDsk to ‘fix’ whatever corrupted files it finds.

Or at least that’s the way I understood it.