refurbished fuze?

Is there a way to tell a difference between a refrub and a new Sansa Fuze? Will it be marked on the model# on the back? If it is, what would be the model# for a refurbished black Sansa Fuze 4gb? Thanks for any help

One of my Fuzes is refurbished and right under the big letters that say  SanDisk ™  on the back are the letters REFURB, branded into the plastic so you could even feel them. You can’t miss it if it’s there.

Presumably that is a SanDIsk refurb. Whether someone is selling you something they fiddled with themselves is a different story.

@black_rectangle wrote:

One of my Fuzes is refurbished and right under the big letters that say  SanDisk ™  on the back are the letters REFURB, branded into the plastic so you could even feel them. You can’t miss it if it’s there.

Presumably that is a SanDIsk refurb. Whether someone is selling you something they fiddled with themselves is a different story.

Ok thanks, I think I found a photo of what you mentioned http://forums.vr-zone.com/home-theater-audio-equipment/792333-8gb-sandisk-sansa-fuze-black-70-a.html 2nd pic. Is this something that could easily be removed without bieng able to notice? I ask because I’m interested in buying this item http://cgi.ebay.com/SanDisk-Sansa-Fuze-4GB-MP3-Audio-Video-FM-BLACK-NEW-/290420581190?pt=Other_MP3_Players&hash=item439e6a6346 (pictures of the actual item near the bottom) and I want to make sure that it is in fact “NEW”.

You would have to sand it off, and that would  show. It’s not just on the plastic–it’s IN the plastic. The photos look like a new Sansa.

But again, that’s if it’s a factory refurb. If it’s a unit someone brought back to a store and has been sitting around–that never got refurbished–you’d never know.

But in the end, it doesn’t matter. The seller says there’s a one-year warranty, as on a new unit. Try it thoroughly when you get it, contact the seller immediately if there’s a problem. New Fuzes can be defective anyway (though I suspect a lot of “defects” are user error). 

That seller has a lot of customers and good feedback, and eBay really does crack down on complaints. I doubt the seller is going to endanger their whole eBay store for $46.

And anyway, my refurb works great.

I now have a refurbed fuze which was a replacement for a bad one now this one is no longer recognized by my PC and i cant get a replacement cuz its out of warranty when the first replacement was 2 months out of warranty i had an angry chat with “Christian C.”

EDIT:Also, there is nothing that implies it is a refurb, but i no its a factory refurb.

Have you tried:

1. Forcing the MSC connection?  With the unit off, push the power switch down to lock into Hold position (orange dot shows). Connect cord to computer. Open Windows Explorer (Computer or My Computer). Hold down the << side of the wheel.  Connect cord to unit.

2. Replacing the cord, in case it’s bad?

And of course you are connecting the cord directly to a USB port, preferably in the back of the computer–not a hub or extension.

Just out of curiosity, how do you know it is a refurb?

@black_rectangle wrote:

Just out of curiosity, how do you know it is a refurb?

I was wondering the same thing. And since SanDisk does not ‘re-furb’ anything (they sell their returned units to specialized ‘refurbers’) then it’s impossible that it’s a ‘factory refurb’.