Recovered .wav file won't play

Luckily, I was able to retrieve a voice recording made in my Sansa Fuze which I inadvertently deleted. But when I tried to play it, there is an error in windows media player - “Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.”

How do I convert it to a format that can be played in Windows Media Player and back in my Fuze. I would welcome any suggestion. Thanks in advance.

I’m not sure why you can’t play it.  All my recordings can be played, but not converted in WMP 11.  I use Media Monkey to convert my wav files into mp3s.  You can download the software here

thanks mags1230. I recovered my files using Recuva. But when I play it, the Windows error appear. When I tried to convert it to .mp3 using Media monkey, (and 2 other softwares) files can’t be decoded due to DRM. Other software says files may be corrupted. Can’t figure out why files would be corrupted when I am able to recover other files (music) except for recordings. Anyway, just wanted to make sure I’ve exhausted all means to retrieve recordings before calling it quits… any other suggestions would be welcome.