Recording Live Music Distortion

Is there a way to reduce the microphone recording volume level so that live music is not distorted?

I play in a local jazz/swing “big band” and have tried unsuccessfully to record our music.  The microphone is so over-driven, the songs are completely unlistenable.  

nope.

@jhertz wrote:

Is there a way to reduce the microphone recording volume level so that live music is not distorted?

I play in a local jazz/swing “big band” and have tried unsuccessfully to record our music.  The microphone is so over-driven, the songs are completely unlistenable.  

This has also been my experience.  I recently was recording at home.  I found that if I have my headphone in while recording I can guage the destortion.  I and also reduce the mic gain by reducing the volume.  I can hardly waint for a truly high volume situation.    My last two recordings were perfect.

adjesting device vol doesn’t change recording vol it just changes what coms out of your headphones.

Get a recorder to do recording. There are several recorders that have a card slot, mic jack, and record in mp3 with a user selectable bitrate. The Sandisk players are horrible at recording.

I agree with JK. It’s a matter of using the right tool for the job. If you just want to make yourself some audio notes or reminders, the recording function on these players is adequate enough. If you want something more and/or better get a device (tool) that’s appropriate for the job you want it to do.

@pdumas7 wrote:

“I and also reduce the mic gain by reducing the volume.  I can hardly waint for a truly high volume situation.”    

I just did a simple test.  I was wrong.  It would be nice to know if you can hear the distortion live.  As I stated, I am waiting for a high volume situation (high noise .)