Record function - "footprints" and lockup problem

I use the record function often when I teach class and it records great.  But when I hook to the computer and rename the “code number” and move the file to Audiobook or onto the computer, the “code number” stays on the Fuze in the record file.  Now I have many many remaining (empty?) codes on the recorder file and if I record again and want to listen, the Fuze scrolls down this big list and hits bottom and locks up.  (At first it scrolled down a few and played the latest recording).  Fortunately I can still transfer the files to audiobooks or podcasts that won’t play with the “listen” feature.

How do I get rid of the “code numbers” to clear the file of the “footprints” and (hopefully) get it functioning like new?  Does it need a change via firmware?

If I can’t get this fixed, I will return it because I use it to record my talks and my own songs.

Lennysan

audio files have two names: the file name( the filename you see when you look at it on the computer) and the actual name.

You only changed the filename, and the fuze reads the actual name, not the filename.

to change the actual name, right click on the file and click on properties. then click on summary and change the name. click on okay.

Manual, pg. 27

To delete recording (while playing it or having it selected in list mode), press bottom of scrollwheel to bring up Options menu. Scroll to the Delete option.

To change the name on the voice-recorded file from the default ‘time/date stamp’ name, your player must be in MTP mode when connected to your computer.

Thanks for the input -

• but I don’t want to change the names but eliminate them on the Fuze - after I copy the file to my computer.

I have 198 of these coded files that are empty as far as I can tell - they are scrolled past -but I can’t delete them. 

That is what is clogging up the record/voice file.  I just want to empty the file.

lennysan wrote:

Thanks for the input -

• but I don’t want to change the names but eliminate them on the Fuze - after I copy the file to my computer.

Silly me . . . I can’t imagine where I got that idea, unless it was from you saying, “But when I hook to the computer and rename the “code number” and move the file to Audiobook or onto the computer, the “code number” stays on the Fuze in the record file.”

Anyway, formatting should delete them, along with everything else. If you don’t mind this, there’s a Format option in the Settings < System Settings.

The “code number” generated during voice and FM recording is a date and time stamp.  This makes locating your recordings much easier.  The Sansa Clip lists recordings with a simple sequential number; this was changed with the new Clip+, going to the date and time format.

Your recordings can be deleted from the player after copying them on the PC. To archive them, it’s a good idea to compress them to a more portable format, like MP3, WMA,or OGG, while on the computer.  I’ve found that it’s convenient to use MP3, and the ID3 tag can be edited with the subject and date, for example.  The files can then be retransferred to the Sansa, and searched by subject, if you’d like. 

The format for the original recording tag is MMDDYY-HHMMSS.

If you would like to manage the files, as you’ve no doubt discovered, they are only accessible using MTP mode.

For archived recordings, if they have been renamed, the Sansa can be quirky unless the files are in the Record folder, as these recordings are in WAV (PCM) format, just like raw CD tracks, though at a lower sample rate.  Converting them to MP3 will make it easier to replay and navigate, plus they’ll take up but a fraction of their former space.

Remember, simply changing the file name doesn’t change the ID3 Tag data.  The WAV recordings are the only ones where the filename is used in navigation on the Sansa; all others are located based upon their ID3 tags.  The MP3 converters I’ve tried all happen to enter the basic ID3 tag as the filename (song name matches).

microsansa