Recognizing Folders

I have a 4gb Sanza Fuze and I really wish it would recognize the folders I put into it. When it’s plugged into the computer I can see the folders on the computer screen, but in the actual unit there is no option for accessing the folders I put into the unit. You would do everyone a favor by making it so that we can access the folders we put into the unit.

@leesoluna wrote:

I have a 4gb Sanza Fuze and I really wish it would recognize the folders I put into it. When it’s plugged into the computer I can see the folders on the computer screen, but in the actual unit there is no option for accessing the folders I put into the unit. You would do everyone a favor by making it so that we can access the folders we put into the unit.

Um, you can access the folders on it…unless you have a really old firmware version. You should check which version you have, I suspect you need an update.

Yes, this feature/function was added in a firmware update some time ago. After you update your firmware, you’ll find the Folders option at the bottom of the Music menu.

Sure would have been great if you told me how to update the firmware on my Sansa unit. Guess I have to figure it out on my own? I’ll use the forum search engine.

It was a bit frustrating as a number of the links provided for the updater led to a page that had nothing on it, but I finally found the link to download the Sansa Updater onto my computer. Then I plugged in my unit, ran the updater and was able to update the firmware. My problem with it not recognizing folders is solved!

Thanks for your help!

I would provide a link to the page that provided me with the link for the updater, but I can’t remember where exactly I found it. I wasn’t certain if I had clicked on the correct thing. Luckily I did click on the right thing

@leesoluna wrote:

I would provide a link to the page that provided me with the link for the updater, but I can’t remember where exactly I found it. I wasn’t certain if I had clicked on the correct thing. Luckily I did click on the right thing

Actually, if you just go to the forum here for your player, there most likely is a prominently listed sticky thread towards the top of the forum, entitled “Firmware upgrade” or something similar.  The latest firmware for your player is provided in the thread, along with instructions on how yo upgrade the firmware.

(And please don’t get upset at someone for not providing you with a direct link.  People here mostly are volunteers and “laypeople” just like you (with some SanDisk folk thrown in).  If you can’t find something, just ask–people will be happy to help.)

@leesoluna wrote:

Sure would have been great if you told me how to update the firmware on my Sansa unit. Guess I have to figure it out on my own? I’ll use the forum search engine.

On the Forum’s main page, there’s a board (near the top) entitiled User Guides | Firmware | Software. It’s placed here so it’s easy for anyone & everyone to find it. :wink:

3rd sticky (shaded) post from the top is the Sansa Firmware Thread. In here you’ll find links to the latest firmware updates for all available players. The Fuze link is the very 1st (top) one. No Updater needed nor required; simply follow the manual installation instructions in the firmware post (it’s easy).

In fact, you’re probably better off without the Updater installed on your system. Updates are only released every 3 months or so (on current models), but with the Updater on your computer, every time you plug in your player, it’s going to phone home looking for an update resulting in slowing your system down and amounting to little more than nag-ware.

Glad you were able to figure it out on your own. Now you can bask in the satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself & get on with enjoying your new toy. :smiley:

Thanks for providing the links…when I don’t need them anymore. Ha! Human nature. People seem to love having others continually begging for more information. That’s the only reason I can see why I consistently encounter people giving partial instructions when I need computer help. They enjoy having people begging for more information.

Sometimes ya just gotta laugh  :smileyvery-happy:

The updater was NOT installed on my system. It is on my computer. I plug the Sansa unit into the computer then click on the Sansa Updater icon on my desktop and it updated the firmware. My Sansa unit does not always activate the updater every time I plug it into my computer to recharge the battery.

Now that I can see the folders I’m set. I don’t need any more firmware updates. I only want my Sansa player for music not to watch videos or view photos

As I did my research into this matter I encounter posts that I believe were created by you with a link to update the firmware. When I would click on those links they took me to a deleted page. Do you realize this?

@leesoluna wrote:

Thanks for providing the links…when I don’t need them anymore. Ha! Human nature. People seem to love having others continually begging for more information. That’s the only reason I can see why I consistently encounter people giving partial instructions when I need computer help. They enjoy having people begging for more information.

Actually  I don’t see it as anyone making you beg for information.  Rather, I see it as people trying to help you and providing what they can and what they think gives you what you need, and then your needing further information (which is just fine).  It’s partly the inherent inefficiencies of forum conversations.  Indeed, even in 1-to-1 conversation, one often is asking for further clarification–it just goes much more quickly.

Well, if I knew where the link was and someone asked about being able to access the folders on the Sansa 4gb unitls I would provide the link and not just tell them that they might need to update their firmware then end the post, but…that’s me.  I’m not the type who provides the links AFTER they have already solved the problem themselves. 

Maybe I’m just weird, but I feel this is the way things should be done  :smiley:

@leesoluna wrote:

As I did my research into this matter I encounter posts that I believe were created by you with a link to update the firmware. When I would click on those links they took me to a deleted page. Do you realize this?

As you’re new you probably don’t know this, but this entire forum has been re-vamped recently and many previous boards consolidated into the existing ones. As a result, many links in older posts are now broken. Collateral damage, as it were.

I don’t intend to ferret them all out to correct links, especially when those links point to information located on the main (1st) forum page, and anyone wanting to help themselves rather than waiting for someone else to ‘spoon-feed’ them answers can easily find them in less than 5 minutes.

As a side note, by “system” in my previous response to you, I meant computer system. You can’t install the Updater on your mp3 player.

The problem with people like you is you assume us ignorant morons are smarter than we look. That’s why you tend to give us partial information. You should assume we are as dumb as we are acting.  :robottongue:

With all due respect, it’s often not necessarily providing “partial information,” but rather not spending more time in providing someone with a link where the person instead could be told where to find the info. (such as, in a sticky thread in the top of a player forum, or by searching using the forum search box).  Most people posting here are “ordinary people” and not SanDisk paid staffers. 

@leesoluna wrote:

The problem with people like you is you assume us ignorant morons are smarter than we look. That’s why you tend to give us partial information. You should assume we are as dumb as we are acting.  :robottongue:

Pardonnez-moi! :smileyvery-happy:

Well, if it were me and I knew where to find it I would have said. “You need to update your firmware. Here’s the link” and I would have provided it. That’s me  :stuck_out_tongue:

Certain threads are stickied on the top of the board to make it easy for users to find.   There’s no need to do a search.  Sometimes a link isn’t given because it only takes a couple of mouse clicks to find the info and to be told where to look for it.