Recharge issue on different OSes

Hello,

Since this is my first post, I’ll say this first: I love my 4 GB Sansa Clip! :smiley:

I’ve had a strange issue, though, and a glance through the forums hasn’t enlightened me yet, although I apologize if it’s already been addressed somewhere. I use my Clip in MSC mode exclusively (MTP was just too weird and flaky). So it works fine on Windows XP, Mac OS X Tiger, and Ubuntu Linux 9.04. Windows is on my main computer, and several months ago, the Clip stopped being recognized. In fact, when I plugged it into the computer, it would come alive and say it was “connected,” but it wouldn’t recharge and it wouldn’t show up as a device in Windows. So I tried it on my Mac mini, and it worked fine. So I’ve been using it on my Mac mini since then, but tonight, the same thing happened there: I plugged it in, it said “connected,” but didn’t recharge and failed to mount. So I went back to my Windows machine thinking perhaps the moody device was begging for some MS action tonight, but no such luck. So I rebooted into my Ubuntu distro (v 9.04, and guess what? It’s happily recharging as I type, and it mounted immediately and allowed me to transfer some files over.

So what gives? Why would it matter what operating system is trying to mount it? This is a real puzzle to me, and I’m wondering how much longer I might have before even Linux stops recognizing it…

Anyone else encounter this? Thanks in advance! :robotwink:

I can’t speak for your Mac problem, but sometimes Windows can have a brainfart and corrupt the USB driver. Go into Device Manager with the player connected and look for a faulty device (indicated by a yellow triangle-and-exclamation-point icon) in the Universal Serial Bus controllers section of the device tree. Delete any you find, disconnect the player, and reboot your PC. After Windows finishes loading, reconnect the Clip and Windows should detect it and reinstall the driver.

Message Edited by gwk1967 on 06-25-2009 10:19 PM

@gwk1967 wrote:
I can’t speak for your Mac problem, but sometimes Windows can have a brainfart and corrupt the USB driver. Go into Device Manager with the player connected and look for a faulty device (indicated by a yellow triangle-and-exclamation-point icon) in the Universal Serial Bus controllers section of the device tree. Delete any you find, disconnect the player, and reboot your PC. After Windows finishes loading, reconnect the Clip and Windows should detect it and reinstall the driver.
Message Edited by gwk1967 on 06-25-2009 10:19 PM

Hey, thanks a lot! That did it, Windows sees my Sansa again. Now, I’ll have to figure out why the Mac isn’t seeing it… (I’m thinking maybe it’s the hub, but I’m too tired to confirm that theory tonight…)  I keep my music collection on the PC, though, so as long as Windows and Linux can see it, I’m all set. I have to load it over the network when I’m on my Mac, so that was a bit of a pain, but it was a deal where I’d set it to copying, then go work on my PC! (I’m not much of a geek, but I love all the OSes – Windows, Mac, Linux, they’re all gorgeous and easy to use, they each have their quirks and occasional outrages, but I can work around that… I don’t understand the eternal wars people get into over them!)

UPDATE (NEXT DAY): The Mac mini issue was my USB hub. Today, I plugged the Sansa Clip directly into the onboard USB and it mounted and charged fine. So the Sansa has acted as a useful canary, since I have my /home directory on a USB stick connected to that hub! I better get a new one! Not to mention, it led me to post on this forum and resulted in a solution to the earlier Windows problem. (Of course, more diligent searching through the forums would have been in order w/r/t the Windows issue. :stuck_out_tongue: )

Message Edited by yp972 on 06-26-2009 12:45 PM

Message Edited by yp972 on 06-26-2009 12:46 PM