Random-Play Question

Here’s one for the eggspurts:

How many files will random-play recognize on the Clip?

I’m going to load in about 1150 files (My audio Bible…converted down to 32kbs to fit in addition to my music)- and I’m wondering if I listen to it in shuffle mode, if it’ll work with all those files???

I would assume that it’ll eventually play ALL of the songs. Why else would it be called “random”?

Well, I’ll be finding out soon enough, as I’ll be loading my mega files soon.

I know on my home stereo, the manual states that it only chooses from a finite number of files in random- I think the number was 200. But that’s understandable, seeing as that it’s limited to CD’s.

Limited to CDs?

Sasafrass452 wrote:
Limited to CDs?

Yeah…my home stereo plays mp3 CD’s. I think the stereo in my van is also limited to only dealing with about 250 files in random too. I would expect the Clip to be able to handle 1000- since they know 1000 WMA songs will fit on the Clip…   We shall see…

Ahh, ok… So then it should handle the number of mp3s it can hold, right? Like I said, it should play ALL of them. Otherwise, what’s the point?

As long as you DON’T turn repeat on as well, it should work fine.  For some reason mine seems to limit itself to a small number of songs when using both Shuffle and Repeat All at the same time.  It even seems to play them in the same order, which I find REALLY odd…

With the repeat option turned off, it bounces around the whole playlist without too many problems.

Bowtie_Bob wrote:

As long as you DON’T turn repeat on as well, it should work fine.  For some reason mine seems to limit itself to a small number of songs when using both Shuffle and Repeat All at the same time.  It even seems to play them in the same order, which I find REALLY odd…

With the repeat option turned off, it bounces around the whole playlist without too many problems.

LOL…I’m surprised it’d work at all with both random AND repeat! (Ya think it’d just burst into flames or something! :)  )

How many songs are on your playlist? (So far, I only have about 200 songs on my Clip- and the random works good with them…unless I press the FF to skip a song…then it does what you describe- it plays recently-heard songs over again, and in the same order…even though “repeat” isn’t on.)

I’ve got just over 400 songs right now.  This is my first MP3 player, so I don’t know if the random with repeat is a problem on others, but I’ve always had them both on when I listen to songs on my comp (used winamp until recently).  It would repeat songs every so often (which is fine with me), but NOTHING like what the Clip does.  I’ll bet I heard the same song 10 times in the first two or three days I listened to it, which just seems weird with over 400 to choose from (I only listen for two or three hours/day).

I’m noticing that, too. It seems to play the same songs quite a bit, & I even have “repeat” off. But I just skip to another song if I want. Not a big deal…

I notice the same thing too.  With shuffle on and repeat off and 450 mp3’s loaded, I have had the same 2 or 3 songs play in my last 5 or more 1hr workouts.  Around 20 songs would be listened to in that time assuming an average length of 3 minutes.

The probability of this happening in a truly random manner would be less than winning the lotto.  It is starting to get annoying.

I think the Clip builds a random list everytime it is powered up. So the probability of you hearing previously played songs is high.

That’s interesting… can anyone confirm this?

We will fix this in the next release.  Its about a month away.

Thanx, Sansafix. That’s good to know :slight_smile:

And will bookmarks be coming as well?

:wink:

yay! thanks!

what i do with my clip is every time i start it up i go to music-songs-scrolldown to a different song each time,that puts the clip into a different set of songs when i listen!my clip is great!!!i dont get song repeats alot!      keb-3

There is definitely a problem with the random play! I loaded up the 1189 chapters[files] of my audio Bible, and this morning, I listened for about an hour and a half on shuffle- 1 chapter got played FIVE times!! When one file out 1189 plays 5 times in that short a period of time…we have a problem, Houston!

On the positive side, though- The shuffle option on the Clip does indeed seem to deal with any number of files…as Hebrews chapter 4 was in the rotation- which is file #1137 !!

So, if the repetition of files is fixed in the next FW…the Clip will be absolutely PERFECT in my book!

Have you thought about the repeating chapter being, perhaps…divine intervention?

It’s worth a thought, anyway.

I like the idea of an audio Bible…but on an SDHC card, all arranged in one accessible place!

Thanks for the results of your experiment!

Bob