Radio on european version of sansa clip

Hello,

I was wondering if there were people with the european version of the sansa clip player who were able to get the radio working. I have already tried upgrading the firmware to m300e.bin or m300f.bin (with MSC USB settings), have auto updated the firmware, but none of these options worked.

To try and play radio I set the FM-settings to world.  And yes, I did have the headset plugged in, I even tried it with the headset of my sansa express that does play radio. Still no luck.

Can anyone help me or do I have to accept that the european (belgium) version does not play radio?

I think your version might not support radio so you should buy a Radio version.  I think the non-radio version might not have the FM tuner built-in so unless you buy the one with the FM tuner, changing fw won’t help

when you buy your player, it should specify if it does or doesnt have radio. The ones with fm radio obviously cost a bit more.

But can nothing be done to change it?  Another post had a link that say it should be able to help, other than just changing the firmware.  Will the non-radio clips have the hardware inside the player it just needs enabling, although you’re not supposed to?

I think I read somewhere that you just have to change the suffix letter of your firmware to “A”, the american version…or better yet, just download the american firmware and reflash.

just my two cents.

You’ll have to install the american firmware to use the radio. Just rename your bin file with an a instead of e, copy it to your Clip, & it will automatically install when you unplug the Clip from your computer.

@wittekoppeke wrote:

Hello,

I was wondering if there were people with the european version of the sansa clip player who were able to get the radio working. I have already tried upgrading the firmware to m300e.bin or m300f.bin (with MSC USB settings), have auto updated the firmware, but none of these options worked.

To try and play radio I set the FM-settings to world.  And yes, I did have the headset plugged in, I even tried it with the headset of my sansa express that does play radio. Still no luck.

Can anyone help me or do I have to accept that the european (belgium) version does not play radio?

i dont really know what version (eu or us) i got. the version.sdk file said us version, altough i bought it in austria/eu. with the original firmware i could select radio and it worked.
i updated it to 01.01.20a. it worked as before BUT has the FM scan step increased from 0,1 to 0,2mhz (as mentioned in the changelog)… which breaks reception in my country.
when i install the e firmware the menu option for radio is gone at all. installing the e firmware renamed to a is equivalent to the a version, as far as i can tell.
so the best option would be to downgrade to an earlier a version i guess. i havent looked for an old firmware yet. maybe someone knows a better way, than using an old firmware? can someone explain why the eu firmware does not support radio?
thanks

edit: i compared the two files: they are equivalent. so the sansa clip chooses its settings just by the last letter of the firmware name.

Message Edited by bmn on 02-16-2008 06:55 PM

to answer my own question: first: there is a third character ‘f’ for the fm version (of the european sansa clip?).
the problem with the fm steps can be solved with an option in the radio settings menu called fm-region. changing that to “world” instead of “america” changes the steps to 0,05 width.

i hope this monologue helps someone else :slight_smile:

There’s a list of firmware region codes on this forum