Questions about Hidden Cleaner and organizing the music folder when connected to a computer

I have two questions which may or may not be related. I am new to the Clip Zip so if this are dumb questions please have patience. (1) I have had problems downloading some albums. I understand that it may be a problem with “tags”, and that using Hidden Cleaner (I have a Mac) may solve the issue. My question regarding Hidden Cleaner. It says to drag the device over the program and then it will do its work. Which device should I drag? My CZ, with the crappy files on it (which cause it  to freeze during the refresh media process), or the external HD where I have all my music stored? My guess is that it’s the latter.

(2) This question arose for me because of the previous issue I just described. I downloaded a bunch of song files, and the CZ froze on refresh. By a process of elimination I figured out (I think!) that the problematic files are ones that I downloaded from CDRs using my Mac. But, when I went to the librarywhen the CZ is connected to the computer to delete them, I was faced with a long list of songs organized by song # (all the ones, then all the twos, etc). Is there any way to organize the folder on the computer so that you can classify the songs by artist and album as well (a la something like itunes)? It’s rather frustrating having to hunt through by song title to find the ones you want to delete. This is such an obvious inconvenience that I assume there’s a simple solution, but as I said I am a total rookie here.

(3) This brings me to my third question: I was wondering if (a) rockbox does this kind of thing, and (b) is it safe to use with the CZ. Also, from looking at the website it seems like there is not yet an automatic installation program. Is this correct? (I doubt I’d risk doing it on my own - I am computer illiterate).

Thanks in advance for replying.

As to #2 above, a tag editing program, or music organization software, will organize the songs as you would like.  I don’t know what you could use with your Mac–with a PC, I use MP3Tag (Internet freeware), which works just great (I don’t know if there is a Mac version as well). 

Sorry, but I have a follow-up  question: After looking at the app site, I’m still not sure: is this a program I put on the player, or my computer? The files are organised fine on the player (by album, etc.). It’s just when I plug it in to the computer and go to the music folder on the computer screen to either add or remove songs,  I’m faced with a long list of tunes organized by song # only. Scrolling through all of these to pick out the songs I want to remove takes quite a while. Will this program (or one like it for Mac) organize the songs in the music folder displayed on the computer screen by artist, album, etc. (basically as it does when using itunes when an ipod is connected)? Thanks in advance.

MP3Tag and other tag editors let you edit the ID3 tags embedded in your music files–the metadata put into files that tells a player info. about the files, such as track name, album title, genre, year, etc.–modern players use this info. to display on the screen.  You put these programs on your computer to check out your music files’ ID3 tags, to make sure they are correct, and possibly to edit them. 

Having said that, MP3Tag and other programs like it may give you an easy way to view and delete your music–it may do what you need to do.  You might want to check it out–easy to do.

I’m not sure why your computer only lets you see your music content by file names, UNLESS that is how your music is organized–such as, with all your music files simply thrown into a single folder rather than into folders album by album or by artist, for example. Is that the case?

First of all, thanks for the quick reply. Here’s my set-up. I use itunes on a Mac, where there are a couple of different folders. The main one has all the songs in it which can be organized however you choose: by artist, album, song number, etc. Then I have a titles of “smart folders” oragnised by artist (they’re called smart folders because whenever you import a song into the main library it is also automatically imported into the corresponding smart folder). When I import songs into the CZ I simply drag and drop from the smart folder in itunes to the music folder of the CZ. And, as I said, on the CZ everything is nicely organized by artist etc. But the music folder display on the computer is just songs by # (all the ones, then the twos etc). You asked:

“I’m not sure why your computer only lets you see your music content by file names, UNLESS that is how your music is organized–such as, with all your music files simply thrown into a single folder rather than into folders album by album or by artist, for example. Is that the case?”

From what I have told you, it doesn’t seem tot be the case, in the sense that even in the main itunes folder that contains everything I can organize the music in any number of ways. But, maybe I am missing the meaning of your question? Let me ask another question that might clear things up. Is the way I am seeing things when I connect the CZ to my computer and go to the music folder not the way everybody sees it? I.e…, doesn’t everybody see a list of songs organized by # only?

Thanks again.

I wonder if it’s a Mac thing . . . . On my Win7 PC, my tunes on my player show up exactly like on my computer: in the individual folders in which I store them (1 CD per folder), by the file names (the song titles) without any # symbol. Regardless, I think that you should be able to use any music organization software (or ID3 tag editiing software) to get the music to show up in an easy order for you to work with. As I think I mentioned, I use MP3Tag which allows this, but I don’t know if this software, or what other software, will serve you on your Mac.

Hi and thanks again for your time. I think this is the last time I will bother you about this, since I am not sure there is a solution. I ran an MP3tag equivalent program for Mac, and nothing changed. When I look at the music folder, I have the song name and #, and the date it was uploaed tot he device. Now, as it turns out, I can click on the “date modified” column and see the songs sorted by album that way, since the songs for each album were downloaded at virtually the same time. But, I still don’t have any way to group the songs by album title. So, to delete the songs of an entire CD, I have to choose a song title from that CD, then click on “date modified”, and then find and delete the songs of the CD that way. It will work, but it just seems odd to me that a view option does not readily appear that shows the songs by CD. As I said, it doesn’t seem to be a tag issue (indeed, when using the player, I can search by artist, album, etc.).  I understand that you’re not a Mac user, so can’t help. Perhaps somebody else out there might have a suggestion? Do I need to download a program like WMP to the CZ to fix this? (That said, I probably wouldn’t bother, as I can do without it - it just seems strange to me that this wouldn’t be something easily fixed; in fact, it’s odd that it’s a problem at all, as it’s not too user friendly, at least from  a Mac-user perspective. I guess not too many Mac users deviate from ipod…) Thanks again for all of your efforts.

-Steve

With so many music organization and ID3 tag editing programs, you can just click on the top of the album column and all the songs will be organized by album. So easy to do . . . .

Thanks again. As it turns out, I figured out a way to import songs directly from the itunes library rather than by launching the program itself and this has resolved that issue. But one biggie still remains. It appears that the CZ will not accept songs with such things as French (or Irish) accents in the song title. I assume the same must be for Chinese and Japanese characters (haven’t tried that yet). Is this where Rockbox comes in? I.e…, I replace the original firmware with RB, and then I can access all songs without trouble (I seem to recall reading it did this)? Again, why the Sansa program can’t deal with this is  a mystery to me. Frankly, while I am no great fan of apple - even though I own a Mac and am very happy with it (8 years and still going strong) - I have to say that I never encountered any of these problems with the ipod I had (before it was stolen). I.e…, no problems with ID3 tags (still not sure what they are), no problems with tunes entitled “Track 5” not being imported, no issues with Chinese, etc.  But I digress. So, I am abusing your generosity once more. DO you happen to know if  (1) will Rockbox overcome these issues; (2) is it available for the CZ (from what I can tell on the RB website it appears that it is still in beta for the CZ). Thanks.

@divingduck wrote:

It appears that the CZ will not accept songs with such things as French (or Irish) accents in the song title. I assume the same must be for Chinese and Japanese characters

This is true.

@divingduck wrote:

I.e…, I replace the original firmware with RB, and then I can access all songs without trouble (I seem to recall reading it did this)?

Rockbox does not replace the original firmware; it merely sits aongside it so you can boot into either at will.

@divingduck wrote:

Frankly, while I am no great fan of apple - even though I own a Mac and am very happy with it (8 years and still going strong) - I have to say that I never encountered any of these problems with the ipod I had (before it was stolen).

This really isn’t hard to figure out. iPods are designed and made to work with all things Apple. It’s when you stray from the flock that you have problems. And that’s probably designed that way too.

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. You wrote:

divingduck wrote:

I.e…, I replace the original firmware with RB, and then I can access all songs without trouble (I seem to recall reading it did this)?

Rockbox does not replace the original firmware; it merely sits aongside it so you can boot into either at will.

OK, but to clarify, will Rockbox overcome the issues with the “non-standard” characters (BTW, isn’t Sansa interested int eh Chinese market?!), and is it now available for the CZ? Sorry if I am harrassing you/pushing my luck with questions to which you don’t know the answer. But, I really want to get this all sorted so that I can start using this thing , and you do seem to be the guru sine qua non… :slight_smile:

Rockbox is available for the Clip Zip and is in close-to-final form for it–pretty final and safe to use (although, having said that, note the various Rockbox warnings–accidents can happen).  And I believe that Rockbox has no issue with the characters issue–but I’ll let others who are using RB answer that definitively.