Question about FLAC files

I have a both MP3 and FLAC files I plan on copying to an SD card. I have NOT purchased a Sansa Fuze yet. Before I do, I have 2 questions: Will the Fuze play both files seamlessly, or does it need to be switched from one mode to another (in order to play different file types)? Also, If the songs are numbered and in a particular order, will it play them in that order?

Bryan

The Fuze plays both MP3 and FLAC, no settings changes needed. The default method of organizing files is by ID3 tag data, but the last firmware update added folder navigation too (you DO need to change settings for that mode to take effect). But even with folder navigation, sorting can be tricky. If the filename starts with a number, you should pad single-digit numbers with leading zeroes (“01” instead of “1”, for example) or else it will play them in this order:

etc.

Message Edited by gwk1967 on 05-23-2009 11:45 PM

@totalrod2 wrote:

I have a both MP3 and FLAC files I plan on copying to an SD card. I have NOT purchased a Sansa Fuze yet. Before I do, I have 2 questions: Will the Fuze play both files seamlessly, or does it need to be switched from one mode to another (in order to play different file types)? Also, If the songs are numbered and in a particular order, will it play them in that order?

Bryan

Yes No and No. 

Yes it will play both No Probelm

No you dont have to switch anything

No the Fuze wont play them that way per se. It will read the Id3tags and then sort alphabetically. You may be able to do it with folder Navigation but I havent played with it enough to have tried this. Also the fuze does play playlists you create on your pc or the built in Go list, which may solve your problem  

Thanks gwk1967 & Conversionbox. I do usually put zeros in front of my single digit numbers because Windows reads audio files the same way. I can’t wait to get a Fuze now! Lots of work ahead though (I’m transferring my entire minidisc collection). One last thing…because my track listings will be going into the hundreds, should I be using two zeros (eg; 001, 002, etc.) and one zero for the 2-digit numbers? (eg; 010, 011, 012, etc.). I just want to make sure I get this right the first time. Thanks again!

Bryan

What are you transferring exactly? Ive never heard of anybody going hundreds of tracks… Except in a playlist (Where numbers wouldnt matter)

My minidisc player came with a cd containing software which allows me to transfer the music (on the minidiscs) up to my computer. By default, they’re converted as WAV files. I don’t want to lose any sound quality, so FLAC seems to be the best choice for audio compression. As you can probably tell, I’m really ana1 about my music library. I’m hoping to keep all the tracks in order according to the cue sheets I’ve printed out (yeah, it’s that bad!). I’ll probably use 2GB or 4GB miniSD cards. Call me old fashioned, but I really like keeping my music well organized in this fashion…I get used to hearing them in a certain order, and like to keep them that way. So in theory, if I use two zeros in the single digit track (and one zero in the double-digit tracks) that should keep them from getting mixed up with the songs over 100, no? Truth be told, I’ll probably be putting 300-320 songs per disc - using 5 or 6 discs. It’s hard to teach an old dog new tricks, but I’m trying…I still have over 1000 records.

Bryan

Message Edited by Totalrod2 on 05-24-2009 03:57 AM

Whatever your motivation, padding track numbers out to 3 digits should do it.

Before you go wild buying cards, you’ve mentioned using regular SD and miniSD cards.  They have to be microSD.

Like other MP3 players that build a database from ID3 tags, the Fuze lets you sort by Artist, Album, Song (title), Genre and Rating. It expects to find albums as folders with the tracks numbered within the album. You can manipulate that system any way you want. When you do Play All under Artist (as you can), it goes by Album title in alphabetical order and Track number within each Album. Or you can use Folders, which will go by Folder and then alphabetically by file name.

So you could make an Album with 999 tracks. Or make a numbered set of Albums with tracks 1-x within them. Or vary things any way you please. 

One caveat and clarification no one has mentioned.

Yes, the Fuze will play FLAC files and you can sort and play by folder . . . but both of these features were added via firmware updates. You won’t be able to do this with a Fuze out-of-the-box. You’ll have to update the firmware first.

One caveat and clarification no one has mentioned (except for gwk1967 in regards to folder navigation) . . .

Yes, the Fuze will play FLAC files and you can sort and play by folder . . . but both of these features were added via firmware updates. You won’t be able to do this with a Fuze out-of-the-box. You’ll have to update the firmware first.

Thanks everyone, for answering all my questions! DonP…sorry, I meant to say “miniSD”. That’s a really cool feature, being able to listen to nothing but music from ONE particular artist. It sounds like this little device is going to do everything I want (and then some). Certainly a huge step up from those minidiscs.

smily

@totalrod2 wrote:

Thanks everyone, for answering all my questions! DonP…sorry, I meant to say “miniSD”. smily

You did. Donp said:

@donp wrote:

Before you go wild buying cards, you’ve mentioned using regular SD and miniSD cards.   They have to be microSD.

There are 3 different sizes of memory cards; standard, mini & micro. The Sansas can only physically take the micro size. :wink: