Product Retirement

@mags1230 wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@mags1230 wrote:

The Cowons are looking good…

Are you an EQ user, or not? I ask because if you’re not using their EQ and other sound enhancements, then they won’t sound any better than a Fuze or Clip+…although they do offer higher capacities (at least the J3, which is available in 32GB with a card slot).

My rockboxed Sansas, my Cowon i9, and my Touch 4G with the “Equalizer” and “EQu” apps all sound equally good to me with EQ’s/enhancements activated, except that the i9 has  just a little bit more output power…but it’s not a big difference. Those in the know say that the Cowon i9, S9, and J3 all sound the same. Note also that I said rockboxed Sansas, with the rockbox EQ…the EQ in the Fuze original firmware quite frankly ■■■■■…the newer Clip+ EQ is better, but still not up to the rockbox level EQ.

I’m not suggesting that you not buy a Cowon, not at all…just giving you an idea what to expect…after all, money doesn’t grow on trees! But the Fuzes are disappearing, and the Fuze+ looks like a fail…so it can’t hurt to broaden your horizons.:wink:

No, I’m not an EQ user.  I leave the EQ on flat.  I don’t even use it on my rockboxed fuze.  The way the sansas sound is just fine to my ears so the Cowon’s audio quality will be good to me also.

The battery on my fuze has recently started to get overly warm when I charge it after a couple of hours so it may not last much longer.  Much as I love my little sansas, the Cowon J3 is also a very good player.

It certainly is. A much nicer screen than any Sansa, battery runtime rated at 60+hours(with the requisite 128kbps files, etc.), and a little more output power do make for a nice player. And up to 32GB internal with an additional microsd slot, and the potential is there for a 64GB player!

@marvin_martian wrote:

Much as I love my little sansas, the Cowon J3 is also a very good player.

It certainly is. A much nicer screen than any Sansa, battery runtime rated at 60+hours(with the requisite 128kbps files, etc.), and a little more output power do make for a nice player. And up to 32GB internal with an additional microsd slot, and the potential is there for a 64GB player!

But at about $279 vs. $49 - $59 for an 8GB Clip+ or $100 - $119 for a 16GB Fuze+, that’s a huge financial leap. I’d love to try one out (J3), but along with many others, I just can’t justify the price difference on a device that could be dropped and broken, stolen or lost. (Not that I’d want a Fuze+ with all the problems it seems to have at the moment)

The Clip+ is the perfect all-around little music player for me (although I do still love my e280v2). I don’t do much with videos any more, so that feature doesn’t entice me, and the touch screen doesn’t light my fire either. I would love to have 64GB in one compact package though.

@tapeworm wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

Much as I love my little sansas, the Cowon J3 is also a very good player.

But at about $279 vs. $49 - $59 for an 8GB Clip+ or $100 - $119 for a 16GB Fuze+, that’s a huge financial leap. I’d love to try one out (J3), but along with many others, I just can’t justify the price difference on a device that could be dropped and broken, stolen or lost. (Not that I’d want a Fuze+ with all the problems it seems to have at the moment)

The Clip+ is the perfect all-around little music player for me (although I do still love my e280v2). I don’t do much with videos any more, so that feature doesn’t entice me, and the touch screen doesn’t light my fire either. I would love to have 64GB in one compact package though.

No doubt, it is a big price jump. As far as the touch screen, there are also tactile buttons for volume, FFWD/REW/skip,

and a play/pause button that doubles as a ‘home’ button when pushed longer…so it’s actually much more usable on-the-go than a player with only touch controls  ( or even my Cowon i9 ) :dizzy_face:. And don’t forget, with proper LAME mp3 files (or FLAC) , the J3 has true gapless playback. The Clip+ is 99% there, without Rockbox, but not quite there.

When I decided to make the jump up to a higher-priced player, I thought about the J3…and decided I wanted more capabilities for the same money, so I bought the Touch instead.:stuck_out_tongue:

@tapeworm wrote:

The higher price does come with a higher level of features.  64 hr battery life for audio and a 3.3 inch touch screen vs the fuze+'s 24hr audio playback and 2.4 inch screen with a capacitive touchpad.  Just increasing the battery life by an extra 40 hrs alone will mean a much higher price for any player.

Gotta love kids.  Did somebody slam the door again in here?  For the life of me, short of installing commercial door closer units, I still have to nag my girls every time they enthusiastically- or forgetfully- slam a door.

I thougt GB found the Fuze+ as his favourite device recently?  C’est la vie, mes amis.  I find such proclaimations kind of silly.  There are far better situations to reserve the “I’m outta here” for, n’est-ce pas?

At its price point, the Cowon isn’t my cup of tea.  This also goes for the iPod.  For the latter, holy moley!  Every time I use one, I can’t help but crack up as I fudge around the interface.  I lost track of how many buttons I pressed that resulted in “give me more money!” messages, be it podcasts, iTunes, applications (I must say, “applications” has devolved into a maelstrom of mediocrity as of late.  I remember when “application” referred to something both useful and sometimes expensive, like WordStar, dBase, Lotus, Office, a C or Pascal compiler, etc.  Now, we have things like the I Am Rich button or a Shake App.)

Sorry, all things Apple are oddly reminiscent of 1984.  Did Steve increase the chocolate ration again?  Hehe.

I cannot put down the latest Sansa in one fell swoop, it’s still the object of interest and requisite tinkerage.  With the lock function improved, it’s much better.  Note, I say improved, as there’s one more irritation with it, the volume buttons are inhibited in strange and amusing ways.  Don’t get me started.  It’s very close, though.

I went a wee bit postal over the “anti-scratch coating” on the face.  Do you know what they should call “anti scratch coatings”?  I think we should substitute “clear coat that gets scratched bit by bit like a Chinese water torture and resists polishing better than trying to push a cat by his tail”, or something like that.  I lovingly removed said coating, and my wee Fuze+ has a happy face like the e200, easy to keep nice.  Removing and refinishing this coating is something I would not recommend, as it does do a pretty good job as it is.

I recently discovered a new application for the Fuze+ working with the Nikon camera.  I run a SanDisk SD card adaptor with microSD cards, since the Netbook has a handy SD slot.  Popping the microSD directly into the Fuze+ , I can browse the files on the card without any conversion!!  It’s really cool.  And you can listen to music while browsing about!

On that note, I’m outta here!  Well, until later on, probably this afternoon.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

:wink:

Dead Dead Dead Dead, Dead Dead Dead Dead, Its Dead, Its Dead… Waiting until april to buy my self another one. Call it Punishment.

That’s a bummer.  Sorry to hear that.

@conversionbox wrote:

Dead Dead Dead Dead, Dead Dead Dead Dead, Its Dead, Its Dead… Waiting until april to buy my self another one. Call it Punishment.

Good thing it’s not your only player!