Problems Loading my Files & Also Organizing Them

I love the machine, but am having a problem getting the files into it so that I can play them in the shuffle mode.

I have, for instance the Eagles latest album, ‘Long Road Out of Eden’ all in one folder on my hard drive.

I’ve been loading them into the Clip through the Sync function on my Windows Media Player because they won’t

go in through drag and drop.  If I try to drag and drop I get an error message…‘cannot copy…the machine has either stopped responding or has been disconnected’.  Then it creates a folder in the Clip but it has no files in it.

I’d really like to know how to be able to drag and drop them from my hard drive into the proper folders in the Clip but that’s another issue.

When I try to load them through the Media Player the Eagles songs mentioned above are loaded out of one folder into the Media Player, but when I open the Music folder in the Clip that one folder comes out as three different folders on the Clip.

Eagles, The Eagles, and Unknown Artist.  I want them all together to simplify things.

I have a feeling that I need to change their format somehow before trying to load them, but if so I have no clue how to do this or even if that’s the problem.

This is the first time I’ve had to use the Media Player to load songs in any player I’ve ever had and wouldn’t have a problem with it if I could control how they go in so that they’d all be together.

I hope this long question is understandable.  I’ve looked elsewhere on this forum for answers to these questions but couldn’t find any.

Regards

Len

djlen -

It sounds like you’ve got a couple different issues. Is this Eagles album a CD that you ripped yourself? If so, how did you rip it, in Windows Media Player? And if so, did you rip it in .wma or .mp3 format? If .wma did you turn off ‘Copy Protection’ in WMP’s options? It sounds like it doesn’t want to copy because of DRM issues. Mp3’s don’t have this problem.

If you change your USB mode to MSC, you should have no problem in dragging & dropping files. You’re supposed to be able to do it in MTP mode too, but MSC (I think) is more dependable. There’s no need to go through Media Player.

The “Eagles, The Eagles & Unknown Artist” problem sounds like an ID3 tag issue. The tags can be edited in a free program, MP3TAG. It’s generally best to make the corrections to the files while they are still on your computer, so when you transfer them to your player, it won’t create the 3 different folders. Actually, if you use MSC mode and avoid Media Player altogther (except to rip CDs), you control what goes on (and what doesn’t) your player.

Message Edited by Tapeworm on 10-06-2008 04:13 PM

Ok, I deleted all the music that I’d put on in the MTP mode and switched over to the MSC and then they all went into the same folder which I titled ‘Rock’.  I then checked them on the Clip and they seem to be more accessible now.

I want to be able to differentiate between different types of music and create play lists.

Would it be better to create them on the computer and put them into the Clip in separate folders?   Or can I create from the Clip itself.

Is there a post anywhere in this forum that tells you how to navigate within the menus to be able to create exactly what you want to play at a particular time?   For example, supposing I have Eagles, ZZ Topp, John Fogarty, and a few others on Clip’s hard drive, and I only want to play Eagles and Fogarty.   Is there a post here that can tell me how to manipulate them into a playlist?

I know this sounds ridiculous and I feel ridiculous because I’m a DJ and have never had issues with how to get files set up and arranged until now…very frustrated.

Regards

Len

Message Edited by djlen on 10-06-2008 04:37 PM

Ok, I’ve reached the point where most of the above questions are answered.  

I just need to know if you can select certain folders/artists and just suffle them.   In other words, as I asked previously,

if I have 2 or 3 or more different artists in the Clip and I want to play only 2 of them at a time, in the shuffle mode how do I select those two for play?

Regards

Len

@djlen wrote:

Ok, I’ve reached the point where most of the above questions are answered.  

I just need to know if you can select certain folders/artists and just suffle them.   In other words, as I asked previously,

if I have 2 or 3 or more different artists in the Clip and I want to play only 2 of them at a time, in the shuffle mode how do I select those two for play?

Regards

Len

In that case, you’d have to create a playlist that contained all the tracks for those two artists.

Since you use MSC mode, I’d suggest checking out Winamp.  Aside from being a great library manager and player, it’s also very good at making/editing playlists on your Clip.  In your example, you could drag the desired artist folders from your Clip into Winamp’s playlist editor and then save the playlist to the Clip’s Music folder.  If you later want to edit the playlist, just drag it from the Clip into the playlist editor, make your changes, then overwrite the original when saving.