Problems changing song attributes

I like having all of my podcasts in one list so I can put them in order and interleave different podcasts.  To do this, I’ve been changing the album on all the podcasts to “PodcastList” and changing the track numbers so they sort in the order I want.  (I actually made a script in MediaMonkey to do this for me automatically.)

This all worked fine until I added an SDCard and started keeping my podcasts on that.  I mistakenly synched my list in MediaMonkey before I had changed everything to be in the “PodcastList” album, so now some of my podcasts show up in different lists in the Fuze.  Now I have been trying everything I can think of to change the album on these podcasts, but it seems no matter what I do the Fuze seems to remember the original album name.

I manually changed the album name on some of these podcasts in MediaMonkey, right on the device (no synching involved this time), yet when I unplug my Fuze, let it do the “Refreshing your media” thing, then plug it back into MediaMonkey I find that the album names have been changed back.

I think the Fuze database is caching this information.  Even if I delete the files from the Fuze, let it “refresh my media”, then put the files back on they get the original album back.  The only thing I found that can get the Fuze to “forget” this info is to change the file names (not the track title, the actual file name).

Is there an easier way to flush the Fuze cache for certain songs, short of doing a reformat of the whole thing?  It’s gonna take me a while to rename all of these files.

You could delete the database file from your player. It is MTABLE. SYS. Upon unplugging from your computer, it will re-build this file froom scratch using the information from the files currently on the player.

You could delete the database file from your player. It is MTABLE. SYS. Upon unplugging from your computer, it will re-build this file from scratch using the information from the files currently on the player.

That won’t hurt anything else on the player?  It’ll just rebuild it?

I’ll try that when I get home, thanks.

Nope. Yep.

Unfortunately, no dice.  I tried it twice and it didn’t seem to take the new album for my songs either time.

I finally figured out what was going wrong.  It wasn’t the Fuze that had the problem, it was the way I was updating my files in MediaMonkey.

I wrote a MediaMonkey script to automatically re-number all of my podcasts.  It turns out that while I was updating the file info in the database I was not updating it on the actual files.  For some reason when MediaMonkey synched these files to the SD card in the Fuze it took the tags on the files, not the tags in the database (though when I was synching to the Fuze’s internal memory this wasn’t a problem).  I added a line to the end of my script, re-ran it on my files, then removed everything from the Fuze and re-synched it.  After that it seemed to work.

For anybody else in the same situation this was the line I needed to add:

itm.WriteTags

I already had this, but it didn’t seem to be sufficient when an SD card was involved:

itm.UpdateDB

Now I have both, and it works fine so far.