Problem with new Clip

Hey all.  I just bought a new 4 GB clip to replace a old 2 gb one that went through the washer (OOPS!).

When I try to load some of my larger mp3 files on there they do not work.   The files are around 40-50 mb.  These files are the exact same files that I had on my old 2 gb clip and worked perfectly on there, which is why I am so confused.  I tried some of my smalled mp3 files and they work just fine.  I can see the files in the music folder when connected to my PC, but the player does not regconize them when I try to play them.

I tried updating the firmware and it did not help.

Any ideas?

I know this won’t help, but, how long is a 40-50 MB song? And why would you need one that long?

they are roughly an hour.  They are mixes that I like to listen to at the gym.

Ok so I went and exchanged it for anoth one and it does the same thing!!!  Does this player have issues with large files?

The old 2 GB one that I bought almost a year ago ran the EXACT same files with no problems!!!

Any ideas?

uhm… try to change ID3 tags of that file to force a database refresh.

Mine (8GB) has no problem with those big files, it recognize and play them just as the other files

Good Music

Massimo

Actually everytime I add the files it does a database refresh.  But then when I click play all or browse the files it does not show them

@sheogorath wrote:

I know this won’t help, but, how long is a 40-50 MB song? And why would you need one that long?

Lots of podcasts are that long.  One music show I get comes coded at 192 kb/s so each episode is around 80 MB. 

"Lots of podcasts are that long. One music show I get comes coded at 192 kb/s so each episode is around 80 MB. "

What a waste of space. For spoken word files, 32 kbps mono is quite sufficient. While bandwidth is cheap now, why waste plenty of it?

@jk98 wrote:

"Lots of podcasts are that long. One music show I get comes coded at 192 kb/s so each episode is around 80 MB. "

What a waste of space. For spoken word files, 32 kbps mono is quite sufficient. While bandwidth is cheap now, why waste plenty of it?

I did say it was a music show. In this case it was wasteful to have it constant bit rate instead of variable.

For spoken word, 10 kb/s is sufficient with a speech specific codec like speex, but most players don’t support that.

SOme don’t support low rate mp3 either (below 64k), or have problems with mono. 

I contacted Support and have yet to get a response.

Is there anyway to see if some how my files are bad?

I just dont understand how these files work perfectly on my old clip, but do not work on the new one.  The also play just fine on my cell phone.

Barring some hardware defect, the normal reasons would be:

1. The file doesn’t look like a music file to the player.  Like an unsupported format (ie .mp4).  Is the file type maybe .MP3 as opposed to .mp3? (grasping at straws here!)
  2. Some problem with the tags, so even though it is a valid mp3 file, it doesn’t appear in the database.  
  3. If you have a lot of stuff on your player… one of my albums had a space in front of the band name tag so it didn’t appear *where* it was supposed to and it was just lost even though easy to find in it’s folder when connected to the PC.

I repeat myself, the mp3 file is correct because you can play it even on your mobile, but the ID3 tags are missed or scrambled or written in some non-compatible way, as you said the clip doesn’t show it.

try to cancel the tags and rewrite them with mp3tag.

if it doesn’t work, wait for sansa response :wink:

Good Music

Massimo