Problem syncing Clip resolved!

It was a hardware problem - a 3rd party USB cable!  I thought I’d share my experience…

I had successfully sync’d my Clip once.  By the time I attempted my 2nd sync, I’d purchased a car & wall charger that includes a removable USB cable (which advertised “2-in-1” cable for charging and hotsyncing), but also enough time had passed that I forgot the charger set was “new”.  I’d used it several times for charging and both car & wall chargers worked fine.

In MSC mode, I could see my Clip and “copy” to it, but the Vista Explorer window would hang, and only one track would copy per attempt (and I’m not even sure each track was complete after 15 minutes of copying).  With some trouble-shooting the next day, I identified the cable as being different than my 1st (successful) sync.  I switched back to the original Sansa cable, and enjoyed instant success! 

I think the 3rd party cable works fine for charging, but it does not appear to work for data transfer.  I’m contacting the eBay seller.  I’m past their “30-day satisfaction guarantee”, so I’ll see if I hear anything back from them.

Message Edited by kmk_01kmk on 06-10-2009 12:19 PM

Wow - I was contacted by the eBay seller to say they’re processing a replacement for me! 

I’ll be sure to try the cable for data this time as well as for charging. 

I received a new cable from the eBay seller!  This is the charger set I bought & who I bought it from.  They stood behind their product.

http://tinyurl.com/nhqj23

@kmk_01kmk wrote:

It was a hardware problem - a 3rd party USB cable!  I thought I’d share my experience…

I had successfully sync’d my Clip once.  By the time I attempted my 2nd sync, I’d purchased a car & wall charger that includes a removable USB cable (which advertised “2-in-1” cable for charging and hotsyncing), but also enough time had passed that I forgot the charger set was “new”.  I’d used it several times for charging and both car & wall chargers worked fine.

In MSC mode, I could see my Clip and “copy” to it, but the Vista Explorer window would hang, and only one track would copy per attempt (and I’m not even sure each track was complete after 15 minutes of copying).  With some trouble-shooting the next day, I identified the cable as being different than my 1st (successful) sync.  I switched back to the original Sansa cable, and enjoyed instant success! 

I think the 3rd party cable works fine for charging, but it does not appear to work for data transfer.  I’m contacting the eBay seller.  I’m past their “30-day satisfaction guarantee”, so I’ll see if I hear anything back from them.

Message Edited by kmk_01kmk on 06-10-2009 12:19 PM

I have that as well for a cable–I just use it for charging (it was too inexpensive to mail back).

They sent me the replacement cable without asking me to return anything - so I’m pretty happy about this transaction!