Pre-pre-amplifier for Fuze

I’ve just bought a 8Gb Fuze with 8Gb microSD card for my mobile music.

I’m using FLAC files and would like to be able sometimes to connect the Fuze to my stereo, set to random and see what I get. I can do this but find even on the loud setting the Fuze just does not have enough power to provide the necessary signal to my pre-amp.

Does anyone know of a decent (but cheap) little amplifier that could boost the output to a level more suitable for my pre-amp, something mains powered would be preferrable.

Otherwise I’m extremely pleased with the Fuze and not regretting my defection from ipod/itunes one bit.

Thanks in advance.

A base or docking station is what you’re looking for. This one is made for the ‘E’ & ‘C’ series, but you can use the Fuze with it too (without either of the molded plastic cradles).

@tasar731 wrote:

I’ve just bought a 8Gb Fuze with 8Gb microSD card for my mobile music.

I’m using FLAC files and would like to be able sometimes to connect the Fuze to my stereo, set to random and see what I get. I can do this but find even on the loud setting the Fuze just does not have enough power to provide the necessary signal to my pre-amp.

Does anyone know of a decent (but cheap) little amplifier that could boost the output to a level more suitable for my pre-amp, something mains powered would be preferrable.

Otherwise I’m extremely pleased with the Fuze and not regretting my defection from ipod/itunes one bit.

Thanks in advance.

What kind of equipment are you using?  I have no difficulty getting enough signal from my Fuze to drive the input of my pre-amp.  

Actually, I just did an experiment, and the Fuze will drive the amp section of an integrated amp to an acceptable listening level.  Certainly not good for rocking the house, but enough to be able to hear it clearly.  

Where do you have the Fuze’s volume set, and what kind of connections are you using to what equipment?

Pre-amp is a Densen B200, power-amp B310, speakers Dynaudio Audience 82

Connection is a DIY mini jack to L/R phonos

Volume on Fuze set to a whisker off maximum yet pre-amp volume needs to be at about the quarter past position still not quite enough volume and I’m not particularly comfortable with the pre-amp volume sitting so high.

I can hear it, I suppose by some standards it could be considered loud but it can’t compare in this respect with my CD player (also Densen) which must have a higher output than the Fuze. It could be that the impedence of the pre-amplifiers input is too high for the Fuze preventing it from generating enough power.

The docking station suggestion could be the answer, I especially like the remote control aspect of it, but does it provide a higher output than the Fuze itself or is it merely a “conduit” for the Fuze’s signal.

Regards

@tasar731 wrote:

Pre-amp is a Densen B200, power-amp B310, speakers Dynaudio Audience 82

Connection is a DIY mini jack to L/R phonos

Volume on Fuze set to a whisker off maximum yet pre-amp volume needs to be at about the quarter past position still not quite enough volume and I’m not particularly comfortable with the pre-amp volume sitting so high.

I can hear it, I suppose by some standards it could be considered loud but it can’t compare in this respect with my CD player (also Densen) which must have a higher output than the Fuze. It could be that the impedence of the pre-amplifiers input is too high for the Fuze preventing it from generating enough power.

The docking station suggestion could be the answer, I especially like the remote control aspect of it, but does it provide a higher output than the Fuze itself or is it merely a “conduit” for the Fuze’s signal.

Regards

Interesting.  I don’t find any reference to the input impedance of your pre- on the Densen website.  I downloaded a PDF manual, in German, unfortunately, but even so, I could find no reference to input impedance in the tech specs near the end of the document.  My integrated amp’s pre- section has an input impedance of 22kOhms, which, while not terribly high, is approximately an order of magnitude larger than headphones.  The Fuze will drive it ‘fully’ when running through the pre-amp section.  Running straight to the amp section, it drives it to an acceptable listening level, but not loud.  I normally have my volume control set at quarter-til, or a bit lower.  I’m running Klipsch KG-2’s at the moment, 4Ohm.  Other sources are approximately the same level, tuner, PC out, etc.

I believe the docking station will simply enable the line-out of the Fuze, not add anything to it.  You can do a Google for ‘Fuze DIY line-out’ to find some information.  As I understand it, basically the signal level from the line out is approximately the same as max headphone out, but is a marginally cleaner signal as it is taken from a point earlier in the chain to the headphone out.

Do you have another rig you can try the Fuze out with?  Maybe a friend or neighbor?  I’m curious as to what’s going on.

No other equipment available at the moment.

I have bought a cheap headphone amp which can (I hope) double as a pre-amp as it has RCA in and out and is advertised as “Headphone Amplifier/Pre-amp”.

I’ll let you know how I get on when it arrives.

Regards to all

I think there are a number of small battery-powered micro-amps out there…“Boosteroo” is one.

They must have a pretty significant level of distortion though.

If you are going into good high-end audio equipment, this sort of cheap solution is probably not going to be that great.

Just a guess.

The Griffin power dock enables the line out function of the Sansa (with the e200 and Fuze).  This is a fixed signal level at maximum.  The above dock can adjust the gain below this level, via the remote.

I love the simplicity of the Griffin, and its cool bead-blasted aluminum casing.  In photos, it looks white, but in person, it’s nice.  Plus, it accomodates either model of Sansa without modification.  The Fuze has an offset connector.

To use the Fuze with the SanDisk dock, you must remove the plastic adaptor / support, and be careful with the mounted device.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: