Portable charger for Clip+!

I’m looking for a portable charger for my Clip+, battery started dying after a few hours (3-4h max). I’m running a 32GB microSD card and FLAC tracks, and battery life is a must for me. I looked over for some portable AA battery chargers, and found some, but most output 5V+, more like 5.6V, depending on the battery type. Will 5.6V usb voltage damage the Clip? If it works, I might charge the Clip+ several times on the go with just a battery, and that will rock my experience with lossless content.

EG: image a 2500mAh battery charging the Clip for 7-8 times fully. And the charger can be tied to the Clip+ as a ultimate battery juice player.

@icsterm wrote:

I’m looking for a portable charger for my Clip+, battery started dying after a few hours (3-4h max). I’m running a 32GB microSD card and FLAC tracks, and battery life is a must for me. I looked over for some portable AA battery chargers, and found some, but most output 5V+, more like 5.6V, depending on the battery type. Will 5.6V usb voltage damage the Clip? If it works, I might charge the Clip+ several times on the go with just a battery, and that will rock my experience with lossless content.

EG: image a 2500mAh battery charging the Clip for 7-8 times fully. And the charger can be tied to the Clip+ as a ultimate battery juice player.

If you Rockbox that Clip+, you’ll get 15-17 hours of battery life with FLAC tracks, instead of 3-4.

In answer to your voltage question, more than 5V will fry the Clip+.

Many portable chargers out there, I have a couple I like.  But as Marvin states above, I’d stay clear of anything not 5V.

Lenmar makes a cute small one, about the size of the Clip itself,  with its own built-in battery, the PowerPort Mini.  Available online and in electronics stores; frys.com (and Fry’s Electronics stores) at $10 + $2 ship.

And there’s a great deal one out there that uses your own AA batteries (2); rechargeables are fine.  Available through eBay (search on emergency charger) and elsewhere, at just a few bucks.  http://cgi.ebay.com/Battery-Emergency-USB-Charger-F-iPhone-4G-3G-3GS-8136-/260771749006?pt=PCC_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item3cb7351c8e

And here’s the direct link at frys.com to the Lenmar PowerPort Mini as well.  http://www.frys.com/search?search_type=regular&sqxts=1&query_string=powerport+mini&submit.x=17&submit.y=13&cat=0

Hey, thanks for the ebay link, just ordered, it is cheaper than the 1*AA battery charger I found on dealextreme. Thanks!

I’l try to measure the voltage for both 1.2 and 1.5V batteries and see if the 5V output is max.

Cool.  Isn’t it amazing what one can get for a couple of bucks including shipping, out of Asia?  And the thing works and meets the need!   :slight_smile: