Podcasts and Syncing to Fuze

I have been using my 4GB FUZE (8GB Micro SD added for additional storage) for about 4 months now.  Absolutely love it for pics, music and my favorite, Tech Podcasts. 

Currently using I-Tunes (ugh) to subscribe to the various free tech podcasts.  They actually have many great free podcasts availiable and are easy to subscribe to, and update/refresh on a weekly basis.  I usually update/refresh once a week and subscribe to only the 2 most recent available.  All of this is very easy within the I-Tunes app.  I then use windows explorer to delete all the existing podcasts on my Fuze in the Podcast directory and then drag and drop the files created from I-Tunes into the recently blank (deleted) directory on the Fuze (or if necessary the external micro SD card.  This is all ok but to me somewhat labor extensive, well it takes about 15-20 minutes.  I would really appreciate if anyone has a program that allows a more simple syncing process.  I have tried the free version of media monkey without success.  Any other software programs that will do this?  Their must be an easier way. 

Any help is greatly appreciated! 

Message Edited by DenverJohn1 on 12-09-2008 08:24 PM

@denverjohn1 wrote:

I have been using my 4GB FUZE (4GB Micro SD added for additional storage) for about 4 months now.  Absolutely love it for pics, music and my favorite, Tech Podcasts. 

Currently using I-Tunes (ugh) to subscribe to the various free tech podcasts.  They actually have many great free podcasts availiable and are easy to subscribe to, and update/refresh on a weekly basis.  I usually update/refresh once a week and subscribe to only the 2 most recent available.  All of this is very easy within the I-Tunes app.  I then use windows explorer to delete all the existing podcasts on my Fuze in the Podcast directory and then drag and drop the files created from I-Tunes into the recently blank (deleted) directory on the Fuze (or if necessary the external micro SD card.  This is all ok but to me somewhat labor extensive, well it takes about 15-20 minutes.  I would really appreciate if anyone has a program that allows a more simple syncing process.  I have tried the free version of media monkey without success.  Any other software programs that will do this?  Their must be an easier way. 

Any help is greatly appreciated! 

What was it that you couldn’t do with MediaMonkey?

@marvin_martian wrote:

What was it that you couldn’t do with MediaMonkey?

To be honest I have not really been able to do anything with Media Monkey.  Really don’t even know why I have it, other than some said it would be better than I-Tunes.  I have not found it to be no better than the manual process I use now.  I guess that is my question, is there an easier way?  Thanks. 

In the narrow column on the left, click on Podcast Subscriptions(the plus symbol next to it, actually)then there will be podcast directories for you to peruse. Once you go through these, click on the RSS symbol of one you wish to subscribe to:then an options screen comes up for you to choose your settings. Once one loads in, connect your Fuze(I always use MSC mode) click on the pod file, (right click) and then,what pops up lets you move the file directly to any folder on your Fuze. If you happen to subscribe to one that’s in AAC format, Clicking into the Tools directory up top will let you convert them to a Fuze-compatible format. Give it a shot…you got nothing to lose. I waited a couple weeks after starting with this before I botted iTunes(system hog extraordinaire) off my computer. So far there’s only been a couple podcasts that I couldn’t get outside of iTunes…but the world didn’t end either. Down with the fruit:stuck_out_tongue:

Is there a way to sync to the card using Media Monkey?  It seems easier then Juice, but the card doesn’t show up as an option.  Where I put all my podcasts.  Yes the computer shows it on there.  Yes there is room.  Yes I’ve done it before.

@dalaug234 wrote:
Is there a way to sync to the card using Media Monkey?  It seems easier then Juice, but the card doesn’t show up as an option.  Where I put all my podcasts.  Yes the computer shows it on there.  Yes there is room.  Yes I’ve done it before.

Yes, there is. I can’t access MM right now, 'cause I’m ripping,so I’ll try from memory…  in that little pop-up menu that comes up when you right-click on the podcast, it will let you move it to either -ex. “J” is my Fuze or “K” which is the microcard and allow you to choose which folder on either one you add it to. It took me a few tries to realize all the different sub-menus that would pop up and let me do all this(like moving the mouse cursor left or right), but they’re there:smiley:

For me, just one drive.  SMC shows the card is in there, but MM does not. :cry:

@dalaug234 wrote:

For me, just one drive.  SMC shows the card is in there, but MM does not. :cry:

Are you in MSC mode? If so, it should definitely show up.Go down further from “Podcast Subscriptions” to where it says My Computer…open that and you should see (drive letter):[SANSA FUZE] and the card as (drive letter):  :smiley:

Ah.  Got it. Then just drag and drop.  Worked.  Thank you!

I use Media Monkey to synch both to the Fuze’s internal memory and to an expansion card.

You must use USB MSC mode.  When you set that mode, the Fuze will show up as two drive letters–one for the internal memory and one for the external.  In MM, you treat those as two different devices and synch to each of them separately.

I use the  d_WMDM.dll to synchronize to internal memory but must use d_UCBMass1.dll to synchronize to the expansion card.

After you attach the Fuze to your computer, Tools/Synch Device should show the internal memory as a device that can be selected in the menu.  If the external card is not shown on that menu, go down to Tools/Options, select Players from the Options dialog, select d_UCBMass1.dll, and press Configure.  You’ll have to set the drive letter on the configuration page of that dialog.

Ok back again.  I have downloaded most recent version of Media Monkey (MM).  I really want this to work.  However, with my 4GB Fuze and 8GB ext MCSD card I cant even see that in MM.  I really don’t think this should be this hard.  MM I like but not if I can’t even see the EXT MCSD card.  I see it in MSExplorer!  What is up with that.  I just want a simple way to subscribe to Podcasts and sync with my “FUZE”.  What am I missing here folks?

MM does not show external cards in MTP mode.  Only shows them in MSC mode.

@dalaug234 wrote:
Ah.  Got it. Then just drag and drop.  Worked.  Thank you!

You don’t actually have to drag and drop. Click on the podcasts, and in the Send to menu, go down to folder:move, or folder:copy, or folder:rip/convert…then you can send it directly to the external card:smiley:

@denverjohn1 wrote:
Ok back again.  I have downloaded most recent version of Media Monkey (MM).  I really want this to work.  However, with my 4GB Fuze and 8GB ext MCSD card I cant even see that in MM.  I really don’t think this should be this hard.  MM I like but not if I can’t even see the EXT MCSD card.  I see it in MSExplorer!  What is up with that.  I just want a simple way to subscribe to Podcasts and sync with my “FUZE”.  What am I missing here folks?

See my earlier message (last message on page 1 of this thread). 

OK, I need to learn how better to read regarding previous posts.  If I get it right you can’t set the FUZE USB MODE on AUTO DETECT, it must be in " MSC" mode.  This needs to be done in the main FUZE menu under system settings under the “USB MODE”.  Think I am making progress now.  I now see it in Media Monkey under a separate drive letter.  God only know’s how it will be in MSExlplorer.  Be back to you all on this issue.  Thanks again for all your assistance.

OK, now one more little issue, why when I rename the folder on my external MCSD card to “podcasts” it doesn’t stay with that name?

@denverjohn1 wrote:

OK, now one more little issue, why when I rename the folder on my external MCSD card to “podcasts” it doesn’t stay with that name?

I’ve had no problems with naming folders, but mostly I have played with folders on the internal memory. What was the folder named before you renamed it?  Make sure you use Window’s Safely Remove function to make sure your changes were written to the device.

Podcasts and audiobooks were not supported on the external card until the version of the firmware released today I believe.  Perhaps that is related to the problem?  What version of the firmware are you using?

Try the rename operation in MSC mode.

anyone knows how to do vedio podcast?

Message Edited by fengx052 on 12-12-2008 11:24 PM

Video podcasts may have to go through SMC.  I think I’ve done a few (was gong to look for some more), but I remember the last one I did, I put it through SMC.  I think they end up in the video folder on the Fuze.