Podcast functionality on 8GB Sansa Clip (Play Count Tracking)

Is there any way to get the device to track play count of podcasts. I would prefer to set Media Monkey that once a track has been played once it gets removed from my device. So far I have had no luck with this.

I could give a rats behind about music but for podcasts this is an essential feature!

I really shouldn’t have to manually manage my podcasts.

@atomictoyguy wrote:

Is there any way to get the device to track play count of podcasts. I would prefer to set Media Monkey that once a track has been played once it gets removed from my device. So far I have had no luck with this.

I could give a rats behind about music but for podcasts this is an essential feature!

I really shouldn’t have to manually manage my podcasts.

So you don’t want to have to push a button twice to erase the podcast you just listened to? That’s what I do, and it works quite well. Takes all of 5 seconds with my 2GB Clip.

Well, if I delete it from my player, how will media monkey know to not just put it back on?

@atomictoyguy wrote:
Well, if I delete it from my player, how will media monkey know to not just put it back on?

It’s simple. To add the podcast to your player…in the send to menu…instead of clicking synchronize…click Folder(Move) and select your players podcast folder directly. it will then not copy the file to your player, it will move it…so after you listen to it and delete it, Media Monkey will not be able to put it back on because it won’t be there:wink:

Well I never did find a solution to this problem. So I had to go back to my 80GB Ipod Classic for podcasts. Maybe someday, who knows when some one other than apple will discover a way to make a compitent product. As it stand to date, no product I have found has the sync simplicity of an Apple ipod. From all the documentation I had read the MTP standard created by Microsoft supports two way syncing, but for some reason manufacturers refuse to fully support its functions. Some include rating syncing, some do play count, but none seem to want to offer the whole shebang. Oh well.

Yes, not all MTP players sync play counts back to the PC.  Actually, I think very few of them do.  I have a thread in the MediaMonkey forums about this.  If I remember correctly, the ones that do include most (or all?) of the Creative Zen players, the Rio Karma, the Trekstor Vibez, and … the Sansa Connect, which uses firmware supplied by Zing, not SanDisk. 

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 05-16-2009 10:54 AM

I guess you just could delete it on the Clip itself as you reach the end of the podcast?

@atomictoyguy wrote:
Well I never did find a solution to this problem. So I had to go back to my 80GB Ipod Classic for podcasts. Maybe someday, who knows when some one other than apple will discover a way to make a compitent product. As it stand to date, no product I have found has the sync simplicity of an Apple ipod. From all the documentation I had read the MTP standard created by Microsoft supports two way syncing, but for some reason manufacturers refuse to fully support its functions. Some include rating syncing, some do play count, but none seem to want to offer the whole shebang. Oh well.

Yes, you are right, the iPod has a nice and slick, user-friendly interface.  That and its styling (and market dominance) are its strengths.

Of course, its sound quality reportedly was lacking for years (is it up to the Clip’s sound quality now?).  And gapless is a relatively recent invention to Apple.  And its Shuffle player, the comparison, I guess, to the Clip, does not have a screen, fm radio, or recorder, or EQ or sleep timer.  And costs significantly more (as do many/most Apple products).  And by the way, can you create playlists on the fly with the Shuffle, or delete a tune/podcast after listening to it, or rate songs when listening to them?

I think I’ll take those features over a screenless Shuffle …

@miikerman wrote:

@atomictoyguy wrote:

Yes, you are right, the iPod has a nice and slick, user-friendly interface.  That and its styling (and market dominance) are its strengths.

Of course, its sound quality reportedly was lacking for years (is it up to the Clip’s sound quality now?).  And gapless is a relatively recent invention to Apple.  And its Shuffle player, the comparison, I guess, to the Clip, does not have a screen, fm radio, or recorder, or EQ or sleep timer.  And costs significantly more (as do many/most Apple products).  And by the way, can you create playlists on the fly with the Shuffle, or delete a tune/podcast after listening to it, or rate songs when listening to them?

I think I’ll take those features over a screenless Shuffle …

And none of the iPods has a customizable EQ…only a list of presets. For what they charge, that is unacceptable.