PLEASE HELP... WHY NO SOUND!!

Hi, Everyone,

Bit of an old gimp and have no previous experience, at all, with mp3 players, but, It’s my brother’s birthday in 2 weeks and he has asked me to get him a 3 volume audiobook on Roman history. Unfortunately it’s only available on download or mp3 CD. (Audible. co.uk)

As he has no computer, I downloaded it onto my laptop and bought him a portable mp3 player, to listen to it on.  

An i pod was a bit out of my price range, so I asked around to see if anyone on the net had any suggestions for decent reliable alternative.

After taking into account quite a few good reveiws, regarding its reliability, ease of operation, and, of course, value for money, I plumped for the Sansa clip+ (8GB)

To cut a long story short, I bought it, got it home, and attempted to tranfer the audiobook’s files, from my laptop (windows xp) to the sansa+.

To cut a long story short, I bought it, got it home, and attempted to transfer the audiobook’s files, from my laptop (windows xp) to the sansa+.

Everything seemed to go fine, but when I attempted to play it later, there was absolutely no sound at all coming from it… (the titles of the audiobook were showing on the screen and the countdown clock (displaying how much of the book the reader has read, and how much is still to come) was moving as it should, as was everything else, as far as I could see…  Even though the volume was, in fact, turned up, It was as if someone had turned if right down to zero, but the machine was still playing.

To be honest, I’ve got the instruction book, here now, but I’m absolutely baffled… What is the exact procedure for getting it to play properly once stuff has been stored on it?, Does it work without the headphones in? (although I plugged them in later and still got no sound.)

I even thought it just be might be a problem with the audible.co.uk site, but got exactly the same result later, when attempted to download something onto it (the Sansa) directly from windows

Anyone got any ideas as to what the problem could be?

Kind regards

Happily I have now been able to solve the problem, (thanks to someone who offered a solution, when I happened to mention it on an Amazon discussion forum, yesterday.)

Turned out that I didn’t have the jack-plug (that is attached to the headphones) inserted into the machine properly, which was the reason I couldn’t hear anything.

I’ve now remedied this and everything seems fine.

Hope this solution can be of help to someone else in the future.

Kind regards,

Citygent1894

The device has no speakers – you must use headphones.  My suggestion would be to check whether your current headphones are functional and, if not, replace them.  Good luck!

I was going to suggest that but you said:

@citygent1894 wrote:

What is the exact procedure for getting it to play properly once stuff has been stored on it?, Does it work without the headphones in? (although I plugged them in later and still got no sound.)

The headphone jack is very tight on new players, and while this has coome up many times before from new users, there is usually some sort of sound that comes out of them. Static, cutting out, clipping at higher volumes and/or sound from only one side are the usual symptoms.

The fact you didn’t get any sound at all is rare and that is usually because the player is actually “paused” or is defective.

Glad you were able to sort it out. Thanks for sharing your experience and what the solution was. It may help people in the future.

:smiley:

@citygent1894 wrote:

Happily I have now been able to solve the problem . . .

Turned out that I didn’t have the jack-plug (that is attached to the headphones) inserted into the machine properly, which was the reason I couldn’t hear anything.

I was going to suggest that but you said:

@citygent1894 wrote:

What is the exact procedure for getting it to play properly once stuff has been stored on it?, Does it work without the headphones in? (although I plugged them in later and still got no sound.)

The headphone jack is very tight on new players, and while this has come up many times before from new users, there is usually some sort of sound that comes out of them. Static, cutting out, clipping at higher volumes and/or sound from only one side are the usual symptoms.

The fact you didn’t get any sound at all is rare and that is usually because the player is actually “paused” or is defective.

Glad you were able to sort it out. Thanks for sharing your experience and what the solution was. It may help people in the future. And no, as mentioned there are no external speakers in this player. Headphones must be plugged into it to hear anything. And as a side note, the head/earphone cord also doubles as the FM radio antenna, so bear that in mind if you are setting up any FM station presets.

:smiley: