Please Clarify Battery Charging

I read on eBatts.com that Ni-Cad batteries should be fully discharged then recharged. NMH batteries suffer from memory effect also but to lesser extent. Lithium Ion do not suffer and do not need full descharge.

I read somewhere on this forum , probably in the batteries post with hundreds of entries that it is OK to top off the clip.

Is topping off clip still the recommended charging method?

@bbrev7 wrote:

I read on eBatts.com that Ni-Cad batteries should be fully discharged then recharged. NMH batteries suffer from memory effect also but to lesser extent. Lithium Ion do not suffer and do not need full descharge.

I read somewhere on this forum , probably in the batteries post with hundreds of entries that it is OK to top off the clip.

Is topping off clip still the recommended charging method?

Yes. :smiley:

As stated above; so feel free to top off whenever.  F0r various reasons, batteryuniversity.com, a nice source, recommends recharging by when the battery is at around 30-40%, if I remember correctly.

@bbrev7 wrote:

. NMH batteries suffer from memory effect also but to lesser extent.

I’ve never seen this from a credible source, like a manufacturer or a place that actually tested for it.

According to Energizer and Duracell, NiMH does not have memory effect.  The big factors adverse to battery life are: overcharging and over discharging.  

FYI: http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/nickelmetalhydride_appman.pdf

Edit: Ironically, you could run into both over charge and over discharge if you were trying to “excercise” a battery to clear the memory effect.  

On LiIon, I can’t cite great source, but my IBM laptop had a charging option that would only take it to about 80% which they said gave a longer battery life if  you primarily use it on AC power and didn’t need the maximum possible time off of AC.  (ie you get an hour or 2 less use per charge, but in a couple of years the battery would be in better shape)

Message Edited by donp on 05-15-2009 01:58 PM

The Clip battery is a Li-Ion Polymer FYI

@donp wrote:

@bbrev7 wrote:

. NMH batteries suffer from memory effect also but to lesser extent.

I’ve never seen this from a credible source, like a manufacturer or a place that actually tested for it.

According to Energizer and Duracell, NiMH does not have memory effect.  The big factors adverse to battery life are: overcharging and over discharging.  

FYI: http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/nickelmetalhydride_appman.pdf

Edit: Ironically, you could run into both over charge and over discharge if you were trying to “excercise” a battery to clear the memory effect.  

On LiIon, I can’t cite great source, but my IBM laptop had a charging option that would only take it to about 80% which they said gave a longer battery life if  you primarily use it on AC power and didn’t need the maximum possible time off of AC.  (ie you get an hour or 2 less use per charge, but in a couple of years the battery would be in better shape)

Message Edited by donp on 05-15-2009 01:58 PM

donp, got it right.

To add to that a little. Heat will harm a battery also, so avoid putting the clip in hot places, like on our dash in the sun light, etc…

Also to store the battery for long periods of time (a month or more) it should be stored at about 30% charge. Never store the battery for long periods of time fully charged or it will never recharge very strong again.