Playlength duration indicator

In the Fuze the right hand indicator for playlength counts upwards from the playlength to zero e.g -4.42 to Zero. IMO this is unintuitive and counterproductive. If the Fuze is meant to be in the same family as the View then this should show a static tracklength. The remaining time can be calculated by the operator from the left hand operation time vs static time length.

Request: Settings Option for next fuze firmware: V1 & V2

Setting for playlength countdown: On (shows -ve countdown timer) or Off (Shows static playlength).

The fuzer can then mimic the View and E-Series

Thanks

S

I like the countdown timer on the Fuze. The track number could be moved over, and room made to also show the track duration. It is annoying trying to add together the two moving numbers, track progress and time remaining to get the track duration.

But reallstically, how many times do you actually have to do that? I mean really, how often do you really care or need to know how long a song is? If it’s that important hit the pause button as soon as it starts, make a mental note of the track length and then continue playing.

I doubt you ‘all of a sudden’ realize in the middle of a song, “Dang, I wonder (or forgot) how long that song is. Let me look. OK now, I gotta add this and that and 9 + 4 =, carry the 1 . . .” Puhleeze!

. . . or do you? :stuck_out_tongue:

“I mean really, how often do you really care or need to know how long a song is?”

How often do you want to know how much of a song is left? Most would just like to know how long a song is. For single songs just knowing from the progress indicator how much has passed is normally enough.

I use players mostly for audiobooks. I want to know how long the book is, not how much is left. I don’t want to have to calculate this.

It’s a valid settings option request which I hope the Sansa technical devs will add to the next firmware. An option along the same lines of theon/off for album art will please both camps.

Thanks

@JK98 - I don’t want the setting removed, just an internal settings option to turn this On/Off similar to AlbumArt. I think that it’s a sensible & progressive request

@Tapeworm - Playing devils advocate or just stubborn?

“But reallstically, how many times do you actually have to do that? I mean really, how often do you really care or need to know how long a song is?”

I listen to many lectures on my mp3 players. Quite often these lectures are constructed with the intention that they be listened to in a single session. That is why I want to know how long they are. Some speakers also speak slowly(while others speak too fast), which is why I want variable speed playback that is adjustable from half to double normal speed with automatic pitch correction. With variable speed playback it would also be nice if there is another item displayed, the actual time needed to finish playing the track.

All right, everybody has different wants and uses information differently . . . or not at all.

It seems the total track length is important to both of you, JK98 & anyname. If this is that critical to you, all well & good. But until such time as SanDisk agrees with you and changes their WPS (While Playing Screen) though, you can use my suggestion (and it was only offered with good intentions, not to spark a day-long contreversy) to pause the ‘track’ at the beginning whether it be a lecture, audio book, music file, or fart .wav downloaded from the internet, and take note of the track length then and there while it is on the screen. Then press the play button again and continue.

That’s it. I’m done. Deal with things the way they are and work around things that aren’t quite the exact way you’d like them to be, or continue to discuss and/or argue about them till the cows come home. It matters not to me.

All right, everybody has different wants and uses information differently . . . or not at all.

It seems the total track length is important to both of you, JK98 & anyname. If this is that critical to you, all well & good. But until such time as SanDisk agrees with you and changes their WPS (While Playing Screen) though, you can use my suggestion (and it was only offered with good intentions, not to spark a day-long contreversy) to pause the ‘track’ at the beginning whether it be a lecture, audio book, music file, or fart .wav downloaded from the internet, and take note of the track length then and there while it is on the screen. Then press the play button again and continue.

Use this work around, or not. It matters not to me.

It seems the total track length is important to both of you, JK98 & anyname. If this is that critical to you, all well & good. But until such time as SanDisk agrees with you and changes their WPS (While Playing Screen) though, you can use my suggestion (and it was only offered with good intentions, not to spark a day-long controversy) to pause the ‘track’ at the beginning whether it be a lecture, audio book, music file, or fart .wav downloaded from the internet, and take note of the track length then and there while it is on the screen. Then press the play button again and continue.

Use this work around, or don’t. It matters not to me.

I’d also like to have the total track length available on the Clip. It’s really useful for audiobooks, podcasts, etc. for the reasons JK98 mentioned.

Message Edited by eliasf on 01-01-2009 02:45 PM

Couldn’t this just be simply done by adding more ID3 support? Also, toggling between the timer going from zero to the end of the song or a countdown timer would be good.