playlength bug?

Hi

Migrated from sansa View to Fuze.

Couple of issues. Firstly album art in not showing when synching from WMP11. Worked fine for the View.

Secondly. The filelength for music file (including audible etc) instead of being a static value is showing as a negative of the file length and counting upwards to zero. e.g mp3 of 4.20 instead of showing 4.20 on the right it’s showing -4.20 and counting to zero. Seems to be a bug. Firmware 01.01.22f

Thanks

S

The counter shows time played/elasped (+) on the left and time remaining (-) on the right. No bug, no flaw. That’s the way it is supposed to be. :smiley:

You haven’t given enough details about the album art situation to comment.

As a programmer to me that just looks like a bug. If it is supposed to count down remaining time it should show a positive value and count down to zero, not a negative value and up to zero. Nowhere I can see in the instructions does it mention this, and the graphics displays in the instruction pdf also show no (-) character. It feels and looks WRONG. No other player I’ve used - including the view, does this. I’ve sent a request to sansa technical people for an update.

For the WMP issue the view puts an albums folder at the root when synching with an .alb file for each album. The fuze doesn’t. Even when pasting the album art as embedded images in WMP11 the fuze isn’t picking this up. Browsing the forum there are enough threads to show that is is an outstanding issue with a bodged workaround of creating a folder.jpg file in each synched album folder.

I hoped moving from View to Fuze would be seamless and less issues!

Re: the album art issue . . . someone else recently posted a similar issue using WMP 11 and none of their album art showed up on their player. Reverting to WMP 10 solved it and now all of their album art shows.

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=e200&message.id=25836#M25836

The number in the lower left of the ‘Now Playing’ screen starts off at 0:00 and counts up to the total track time. This is the ‘elasped time’.

The number in the lower right of the screen starts at the total time of the track and counts backward (example -4:25) to 0:00 at the same rate the number on the left is advancing . This is the ‘time remaining’.

I don’t know about the View, but this is the same as on the e200 series (both v1 & v2). It’s also the same counting method used in Rockbox firmware. It may be different from what you are used to, but this is the way it is supposed to be.

We’ll have to agree to disagree on the right time issues. That it’s that way in the E series doesn’t mean that it’s right. If the fuze is in the same family as the view then there is a stronger argument that they should work the same. IMO the right time should be a static playlength value and the left count up to that value.

I hope that the next view firmware will ‘fix’ any synch issues with WMP11. Downgrading isn’t really a viable long-term solution. The view and the optional ALBUMS folder and .alb files worked well. Why the fuze doesn’t follow this is perplexing.

S

If you transfer in MTP mode, the album art equation and playlists will be smoother.  I noticed you listed the ALBUMS folder in caps, hinting at MSC mode.  MTP does some cool linking (associations) in the background.

The time elapsed / time remaining syntax is an aesthetic consideration, with the +/- symbols.  If the right (total time) display is static, it’s dead space, since the overall status, (and total track length) can be seen by looking at the progress bar and two counters together.  The developers opted to give a useful value in that right-side screen space.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Why doesn’t the player display track duration? This is so annoying. I find myself  adding the play time plus time remaining to figure this out. Imo this should be put on the line with the track number on the display, next to the fraction. I would also like to see the font for the clock time, elapsed time, remaining time, and track number to be enlarged a bit, as they are hard to read. The progress bar is centered in a light colored band, but the space above it in the band is wasted. If the progress bar is raised within the band there would be room to enlarge the font for time elapsed and time remaining.

@anyname wrote:

We’ll have to agree to disagree on the right time issues. That it’s that way in the E series doesn’t mean that it’s right. If the fuze is in the same family as the view then there is a stronger argument that they should work the same. IMO the right time should be a static playlength value and the left count up to that value.

I think it’s kind of silly to argue or disagree over a + or - symbol, or even the absence of a symbol. You say tom a to and I say to mah to. The fact is that’s how SanDisk programmed it. Maybe they put the minus symbol there to indicate that the time is counting down. Mathematically in-correct maybe, and yes, they probably could have just as easily left a ‘static’ total track time there, but they didn’t. If you see it as a ‘bug’ then so be it. I’m not trying to diminish your objection; I’m simply just trying to convey that it was obviously done the way it is intentionally. For the reasoning behind it, you’d have to ask the firmware development team.

The Fuze is a direct descendent of the ‘E’ series. It shares the same processor as the v2 model. The View is an entirely different beast altogether. SanDisk had plenty of opportunities to change this with the ‘E’ series v1, v2, Clip Rev. 1 & Rev. 2, and the Fuze Rev. 1 & Rev. 2. And at any time during any of the multiple firmware updates of any of these models, this would have been a simple thing to ‘adjust’. They chose not to. Right, wrong, or indifferent, they obviously just don’t see it as a problem, or something to be corrected.

You are certainly welcome to post this issue in the Product Feature Suggestions board. SanDisk doesn’t add or take action on every idea suggested, but they do listen to and consider valid requests or enhancements. I don’t know your programming expertise, but if it really bothers you, maybe you could change the line or two of code affecting this and then it wouldn’t ‘bug’ you. :wink:

Not a silly argument IMO, more a product compatability issue. If sansa is to promote the clip/fuze/view as a range then it should put more thought into product feature patterns…

A programmer, yes. An idiiot about to waste hours of my time no thanks.

Added a product request: http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=featuresuggestions&thread.id=738

@neutron. Just put the albums in capitals for emphasis, though I will check this out. Seems a lot of others have issues with WMP11.

S