Playing through a hifi USB.... or not.....

Hi all, i received my Sansa clip last week, and have loaded it with 4gb of files (after learning how to convert to mp3 and resize the files)

Everything works just fine, its a great little thing but if I plug it into the USB port on my Marantz hifi using the accompanying USB lead the only files found are the ones stored on the clip itself but not the ones on the external memorycard- is there anyway to change this that anyone knows of- Thanks¬

No. The “host” unit, whether it be a home stereo system or car stereo will only see the files located on the internal memory of the player through a USB connection. It’s not as “smart” as your computer which can see all drives.

No. The “host” unit, whether it be a home stereo system or car stereo will only see the files located on the internal memory of the player through a standard USB cable connection. It’s not as “smart” as your computer which can see all drives.

Sandisk used to make a dock for the old c & e200 series that you could plug into your stereo at home. I have one; it works quite well and charges the player at the same time. It even has a remote control. However, it is not available any longer and wouldn’t work with your Clip as it doesn’t have the same 30-pin USB port.

Brilliant thats what I wanted to know, or a solution, thanks. Looks like I will give it away and get a new one with bigger internal memory, Thanks Tapeworm!

Another aternative solution for you . . . just use a memory card in a card reader and plug that into the USB port of your stereo. You can get much larger capacities in cards than in players, theyr’e less expensive and this would free up your player for personal ‘away from the house’ use.

Or, another solution:  output the sound from the Clip using a patch cord/auxiliary cable going from the Clip’s headphone jack to an aux. in jack (or dual aux. in jacks) on the stereo.  I did this for years and it worked just great.  With an extra advantage that the Clip player acts as a corded remote of-sorts–great on a desk.

Tapeworm your a star! I did what you said with the card reader and its just brill, then I ordered a 16gb flashdrive and put 75 of my fav albums on it, and used the memory card for my phone, so now I have a loaded mp3 player, loaded phone and a great random hifi player for those days when I’m undecided what mood I’m in!

Miikerman thanks for yours too, though I was determined to use the ugly usb socket on the front of my marantz so at least its ugliness is put to use if you know what I mean-

Thanks again-