Playing Back Folders Individually!!??!!

I have looked all over trying to find out how to play back separate folders individually.

Example:  I drag and drop 3 different folders into the clip.   Oldies, Rock & Jazz.

I can’t figure out how to play, for example Rock only.   Sometimes I don’t want to hear songs

from Oldies or Jazz.   Just Rock.   How do I get the clip to do that?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Len

@djlen wrote:

I have looked all over trying to find out how to play back separate folders individually.

Example:  I drag and drop 3 different folders into the clip.   Oldies, Rock & Jazz.

I can’t figure out how to play, for example Rock only.   Sometimes I don’t want to hear songs

from Oldies or Jazz.   Just Rock.   How do I get the clip to do that?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Len

You cant do it in the way you are describing. At least not yet. What you are asking about is called Folder Navigation which is not implemented on the clip and was only recently added to the Fuze. There is a way to do it though on the clip. What happens is that the Clip reads Id3tags that are embedded in the song file. So what you can do is download a program like Mp3tag and use it to set the Genre of the songs in your folders to match. What I would do is delete everything from the Clip, then open mp3tag and import your Jazz folder into the program and select al the songs, then set the Genre for them all to Jazz. Do the same for Rock and Oldies. Then put the folders back on the clip, and go to music and then choose Genre, and pick what you want to listen to.  

I must have done something wrong.   It’s still shuffling through all the folders.

I used the Mp3tag.   I put the songs into it.  Clicked on genre and then clicked selected filename-tag

in the Convert tab.

Then I clicked on Convert and it said all the files were converted.

I put them into the clip after deleting all the ones I had in there.

To test it I only put two folders in but it was switching between them.

Any idea what I did wrong?

Regards,

Len

Highlight the set of files you want to tag, then in the left window, type the genre, i.e. Jazz or whatever, in the genre box. Then click the little “Save” icon (looks like a floppy disc) in the toolbar.  Load files to Clip.

Another option, in some ways easier, (until they support folder navigation on the Clip)  is to create a playlist for each Genre using this  program http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41782  You just have to remember to run it again when ever you add new music to the clip.

That did it.   Finally, I can differentiate between folders.

This makes the experience so much more satisfying.   Sometime you just don’t want to skip from

one genre to another when I only want to listen to one.

Thank you guys for the help.

BTW, I’m still wondering why they set it up the way they did. :neutral_face:

Regards,

Len

@djlen wrote:

That did it.   Finally, I can differentiate between folders.

This makes the experience so much more satisfying.   Sometime you just don’t want to skip from

one genre to another when I only want to listen to one.

Thank you guys for the help.

BTW, I’m still wondering why they set it up the way they did. :neutral_face:

Regards,

Len

Thats how all the major players in the mp3 world do it. They read tags not folders. The fuze got Folder nav in a recent firmware update.  

It is SOOO annoying that there is nothing that does this on a Mac. Many pretenders that do a bunch of stupid stuff with filenames etc, but apparently nothing MAC based that jams what you want throughout a subtree (not just one directory) into genre or whatever tag. I haven’t seen hardly any other utility function (free) that is missing in the Mac world.

@daft wrote:
It is SOOO annoying that there is nothing that does this on a Mac. Many pretenders that do a bunch of stupid stuff with filenames etc, but apparently nothing MAC based that jams what you want throughout a subtree (not just one directory) into genre or whatever tag. I haven’t seen hardly any other utility function (free) that is missing in the Mac world.

I am looking too. I have tried a few things but nothing that works. I am still looking for a Reliable player with a Decent GUI to play my OGG files on my mac.