Player keeps playing radio indefinitely after being disconnected from the computer

I’ve had some trouble with the lifetime of the battery of my sansa clip.

But now I know what was happening: 

I mostly use my sansa clip to listen to the radio.

When I’m back home, I just turn the player off and plug it into the computer and then forget about it.

When I’m done with the computer, I shut it down and I go to bed.

The next day in the morning, I unplug my player and I’m surprised because it’s battery is not full.

This is because when the computer is shut down, the sansa clip detects that it is disconnected and then fall back to radio listening.

So my player was playing radio all night long (without earphones being plugged).

Now that I know that, I have to leave the radio menu before shutting down the sansa clip.

But maybe the next firmware could fix this: when being disconnected, the sansa clip should never fall back to radio mode.

@pitchum wrote:

I’ve had some trouble with the lifetime of the battery of my sansa clip.

But now I know what was happening: 

I mostly use my sansa clip to listen to the radio.

When I’m back home, I just turn the player off and plug it into the computer and then forget about it.

When I’m done with the computer, I shut it down and I go to bed.

The next day in the morning, I unplug my player and I’m surprised because it’s battery is not full.

This is because when the computer is shut down, the sansa clip detects that it is disconnected and then fall back to radio listening.

So my player was playing radio all night long (without earphones being plugged).

Now that I know that, I have to leave the radio menu before shutting down the sansa clip.

But maybe the next firmware could fix this: when being disconnected, the sansa clip should never fall back to radio mode.

Try pausing the radio before you plug it in :wink:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@pitchum wrote:

Try pausing the radio before you plug it in :wink:

That’s a nice workaround, thank you.

However I really think that this use case should be handled by the firmware: never start playing radio automatically after being disconnected.

Better yet, not turn the unit on period.

Dave Cohen

@dave61430 wrote:

Better yet, not turn the unit on period.

Dave Cohen

Even using a wall charger powers the unit on. All you can do is be sure it’s paused before you plug it in, then when you disconnnect from charge, the power saver will shut the devicedown after your preset time elapses.

Disconnect the player and turn it off when charging is finished. Keeping the player connected when the pc is off  and there is no power to the computer’s USB port will drain the player battery.  With enough time, it might even drain it so much as to permanently destroy the battery. There should be a safeguard against this in the player, in case one forgets and leaves the player connected when the pc is turned off. Why can’t the player perform an auto off when it is connected to a pc and the power to the pc USB port goes off?