Player Dead - Can't Tell if it is a hardware (=battery) or software (=database) problem

Hello there,

I purchased my clipzip last December and have the latest firmware installed. I have the 8GB version and a 16 GB SD card.

For a while now I have encountered the following problems: 

The player just won’t charge. I had it plugged into a socket, I have tried with the included USB  cord and I have also tried another (longer) USB cord.

Once it did charge enough to display but it did not recognise any songs apart from those by the Beatles; so my 24 GB of Music were down to them. Soon afterward it signalled “Batttery Low” and went dead. I suspect that it charged because it was a Win7 system at work as compared to Win XP I use at home.

I have also deleted  the database file to have it  reconstructed by the player but the next time I managed to have a look, it was Beatles only again. Files and Folders display fine in the Win Explorer though.

Is there any chance to restore this device to working or will I have to return it (in case I still can)? 

Help is greatly appreciated!! thx

As long as the music files are still on the player, deleting the database file simply forces the Clip to build another one anew.

Your “missing” files are actually “hidden” from view on one computer, as your Clip is most likely connecting in different USB modes on the other computer.  The processor of the Zip can commumicate in one USB mode at a time, so files transferred in MSC, for example, won’t be seen if the computer establishes an MTP connection.

The purpose of the “Auto Detect” function on the Sansa is to increase your likelihood of establishing a connection.  For most users, this is fine, since you can simply plug the device in, a connection is established, and you can transfer music.  Problems arise when, unbeknownst to the user, one mode drops, and the device falls back on the alternate mode.

Once connected, the device should happile resume charging, unless the USB port cannot provide enough current for the high initial charge rate.  This is why a USB 2.0 port is recommended.  In theory, a 2.0 rated port can provide 500mA of charging current.  we can run into problems using those handy ports on the front of your average desktop PC, since manufacturers really really love those winky (often as thin as 24 gauge) wires running from the motherboard to the front ports.

Try using a different USB port, I like to use a universal (longer, about 1 meter) microUSB cable, routed to the rear USB ports.  Observe the battery icon,and see if it “rolls”, indicating active charging.

There’s one Achilles’ Heel in this equation: the processor in the Clip handles everything in one chip, the USB bus, processing, and charging.  If the device is not establishing a connectin, it halts charging.

You can try using a smartphone charger, they provide plenty of current, and the Clip will charge without trying to establish a connection.  This is because there won’t be any data on the USB connection (since it’s just a power source).

On the device, you can manually select one USB mode by going to Settings > System Settings > USB mode.  Windows 7 includes Windows Media Player 12 which supports MTP.  (Windows 10 and later support the mode).

Bob  :wink:

Does the player charge okay when it is hooked up to a USB AC charger? If your home pc is a notebook, plug  the notebook into AC power before hooking up the player. If it is a desktop, plug the player directly into a rear usb socket(don’t use an extension cable or hub). if it is a notebook, also check the power saving settings. Notebooks are sometimes set to cut power to the usb ports to save energy.

Hi JK98,

the player does not charge through USB AC charging devices nor through rear USB sockets of my Win XP PC. This morning though it charged for a short time on my Win7 Notebook which was abandoned after a short time. Oh, and the player started to update the database but the screen went black before it had finished. After that I had it plugged in for several hours but that apparently was useless…

Hi, neutron_bob,

if the device does not charge but cannot be switched on again either (which I would have to in order to change the USB mode) does this mean that I can no longer use the player at all?

Oh, and maybe I should mention that my handphone charges without problems through the AC charger, and all PC or Notebook-USB sockets…

Did you try using a different usb cable? If you did and that didn’t get it to charge with the AC charger, then it is probably a hardware problem. Call Sandisk and arrange to get it exchanged under warranty.

I have two USB cords with the suitable micro-USB port both of which I have tried. I had this player taken off the power supply this morning after 8 hours of presumable charging but it said: update database or so and then it went dead. I can’t switch it on again with or without the Micro-Sd card.

How can I send it to SanDisk? I purchased the player through an AmazonShop called Extended Deals.

Cheers 

If your computer does not recognize your device, make sure you have Windows
Media® Player version 10 or higher installed. You can also change the USB Mode to
MSC if you do not have Windows Media Player. For Mac, ensure that USB Mode is set
to Auto Detect or MSC mode. The change to MSC mode can be made in System
Settings under the Main System category from USB mode.

If your player does not connect:

1. Unplug the player
  2. Select Settings
  3. Select System Settings
  4. Select USB Mode
  5. Change the USB Mode from Auto Detect to MSC
  6. Plug your player back into your PC

Well, 182cm, the point is that I can start the player neither when plugged nor when unplugged. Sometthing’s broken.

HOW CAN I SEND IT BACK?

Umm, by clicking on the SanDisk logo at the top left of this page, and then clicking on “Contact Us” at the upper right, at which point you’ll find a plethora of ways to reach SanDisk, including telephone numbers, to discuss the issue with Customer Support and to arrange a return, if needed . . . .  2 clicks.   :wink:

@streifenleopard wrote:

Well, 182cm, the point is that I can start the player neither when plugged nor when unplugged. Sometthing’s broken.

HOW CAN I SEND IT BACK?

Umm, by clicking on the SanDisk logo at the top left of this page, and then clicking on “Contact Us” at the upper right, at which point you’ll find a plethora of ways to reach SanDisk, including a toll-free telephone number in the U.S. (the easiest way to arrange matters), to discuss the issue with Customer Support and to arrange a return, if needed . . . .  

2 clicks.