Playback stutter of mono ogg-vorbis files

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Sansa Clip 4GB and updated to the latest firmware (v02.01.32a). I am excited to use obb-vorbis files but have encountered stuttering playback when listening to mono ogg-vorbis files. In particular I am listening to an audio book from the librivox.org page:

http://librivox.org/walden-by-henry-david-thoreau/

The first ogg file works, but all others stutter. After a bit of inspection using ogginfo I discovered that the first file is stereo while the remaining files are mono. I have attempted to re-encode them using oggenc as well as Audacity using the nominal bit rate of 80 kbps. All mono files that I have made exhibit the stuttering problem.

I then made a stereo version of the file by duplicating the mono track in Audacity. The stereo file I made plays back correctly. Creating a mono file by downmixing the working stereo file with oggenc again produced a file that stutters on playback.

All of the files play back correctly in Windows Media Player with the official DirectShow filters installed.

Anybody else having this problem or know of a work around? I really want to use the ogg format!

Thanks,

Tyler

@davis152 wrote:

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Sansa Clip 4GB and updated to the latest firmware (v02.01.32a). I am excited to use obb-vorbis files but have encountered stuttering playback when listening to mono ogg-vorbis files. In particular I am listening to an audio book from the librivox.org page:

http://librivox.org/walden-by-henry-david-thoreau/

The first ogg file works, but all others stutter. After a bit of inspection using ogginfo I discovered that the first file is stereo while the remaining files are mono. I have attempted to re-encode them using oggenc as well as Audacity using the nominal bit rate of 80 kbps. All mono files that I have made exhibit the stuttering problem.

I then made a stereo version of the file by duplicating the mono track in Audacity. The stereo file I made plays back correctly. Creating a mono file by downmixing the working stereo file with oggenc again produced a file that stutters on playback.

All of the files play back correctly in Windows Media Player with the official DirectShow filters installed.

Anybody else having this problem or know of a work around? I really want to use the ogg format!

Thanks,

Tyler

It could be an encoding issue with the files.  I know for a fact that ogg vorbis plays back correctly in mono, as I tape a 4 hour radio broadcast daily in ogg and transfer it over to one of my clips, for listening as I try to fall to sleep each evening.  Just because the file (s) in question plays on other playback devices, doesn’t mean they are without errors.

Message Edited by fuze_owner-GB on 03-30-2009 01:53 PM

Could you please provide the mono encoding specs that work for you?

Thanks for any help!

I’ve used other settings that have worked, but these are the ones I usually use:

ogg vorbis mono; 64kbps; 22050 Hz; using the xiph.org codec

Thanks for the info. Sadly I’m still getting the stutter with those settings. Do you have the same firmware version I’m using (v02.01.32a) on your clip? I wonder if this is a regression.

I have the latest firmware applied.

I decided to reformat and reinstall the latest firmware (using the MSC approach instead of the Windows firmware updater). All the ogg files are now playing correctly.

Thanks for the encouragement!