Play music while connected to PC?

I have a Sansa C240 and I would like to be able to play music from it while it is connected to the PC.  We are using this device for our on hold music and I need it to basically run off of constant power and loop continuously but everytime I hook up the USB cable it stops the player.

Try resetting the battery.

why not just connect the headphones to the computer and play it back through the computer? All this being done while the player charges.

When I use my Macally Made for Sansa charger, I’m able to listen while charging…

Hey you guys what they want is to play the music and not have to recharge it for a Telephone system On hold music setup…
(Which sounds like a great use of the device if it can survive being on 24 hours a day 7 days a week. :smileyvery-happy: )

What you want is to plug the c240 into power and not run off the battery…

When you hook the cable that came with the unit to the PC it provides BOTH power and data communications(Lets you copy music to it)
What you need is a cable that does NOT provide the data capabilities and only the power OR a power source that only provides Power.
The c240 auto senses when it is hooked to the cable and a computer and puts the unit in transfer mode - This stops music playback.

so you have 2 options here…

1. get a cable that only provides the power and not the data…

This is the easiest solution
2) get you a power source other than the computer and use the cable that came with it.
What I would do if hooking this up to a phone system is this…
http://www.boxwave.com/products/wallcharger/index.htm
This is the direct source you can find on amazon too…
This will give you the power you need…
If you want this and a spare cable then select a bundle
 http://www.boxwave.com/products/bundles/wallcharger-directsync/sandisk-sansa-c240-directsync-wall-charger-bundle_2094.htm

Again you find things like this on Amazon or maybe even you local retailer…

The main Idea is to break the connection of data from the player to the computer… (You could cut the data wires in a standard cable but that to me is a little over board) You just want the USB power… WARNING if you cut the data wires of your Only cable you will not be transferring anymore data so only use a spare cable!!!

Hope this Helps

Me I would take a 2nd cable figure out which wires I needed and Frankenstein it into the phone system. I mean it needs what 5vDC depending on the phone system I am sure I could find a 5v dc line or step it up or down to 5v… a bit of Velcro and Walla instant on hold music on the cheap!!

Message Edited by Jojo24 on 10-20-2007 07:03 PM

When my c250 is plugged into the computer, it’s in a mode that it will only charge and sync songs. You can’t play songs from it, that’s just the way it is.  I’m pretty sure it’s that way with most devices, and i know it’s true on Sansa, Creative Zen, and iPod.  So either just put your songs on the deivce onto the computer and play from the computer, or get a set of speakers that you can plug into your mp3 player and use that instead of the computer speakers.  Actually, on most computers, you can just unplug the speakers and plug them into your mp3 player. The jack is the same size on both.

Jojo - outstanding response… you described exactly what I was looking for much better than I did.  The reason I can’t use the computer as the audio source is because the pc is a server and doesn’t have an audio card.  I believe I’ll just purchase one of the chargers you posted and be set.

And in response to another poster about the iPod not allowing you to charge and play… all you have to do is eject the ipod in itunes and the ipod continues to charge and also lets you play music.

The sansa was just cheaper for us.

Thanks again Jojo!