Play folder contents?

They should add this as an option in the Music menu. Since I can manage my Fuze with Windows Explorer, creating sub-folders under the Music folder, why not let me play the contents of a particular folder? I’d think this would be easier than messing around with 3rd-party software and playlists.

I’ve never thought about having this feature because all my music is organized the way KAudioCreator (my KDE CD Ripper in Linux) organizes it, which is /home/username/ogg/Artist/Album/ (the same way that most CD Rippers organize is, though if I’m correct, Windoze will do it C:\Documents & Settings\username\My Documents\My Music\Artist\Album), but for people who organize their music differently, this would be a nice feature.

Yeah, that would need to be enabled.  It’s a feature called file folder browsing, and I know several other players have it, but we don’t.  I found that out the hard way after spending several hours rearranging my music folders, only to find it made no changes whatsoever.  But under music, in addition to artists, songs, albums, etc, you would see file folders, and could browse through the folders you made.  Anyway, I seem to remember reading that this will be coming in a future FW update, but I can’t say for sure, I could just be really hopeful.  Regardless, I don’t expect it will be in the upcoming release, but its very likely that this feature will come around one of these days.

@cruiserdude wrote:
Anyway, I seem to remember reading that this will be coming in a future FW update, but I can’t say for sure, I could just be really hopeful.  Regardless, I don’t expect it will be in the upcoming release, but its very likely that this feature will come around one of these days.

I agree this would be a useful feature. No Sansa firmwares support play/browse by folder, and I’ve never heard it mentioned as coming. The only likely solution, I think, is Rockbox (third-party firmware).

Message Edited by pelago on 12-11-2008 10:47 PM

I agree that play by folder is a very useful feature.  Cowon, iriver, Meizu, Samsung, and many cheap Chinese brands have this feature.  Creative Zen also has that for the SD card slot.  Using tags still had a lot of problems for me.