"Play 1 track and stop" mode?

New Clip+ user here.

My previous player had a mode where it would play 1 track and stop.

I listen mostly to podcasts, so I would use this mode to stop after each podcast and delete the track.

Does the Clip software have a mode like this?

I don’t know if it’s a mode per se–but if you select a particular file to play, the Clip stops after.

Thanks, I’ll try that.  It’s not quite what I’m used to.  I download 10 to 12 podcasts every day, name the files to put them in the order I want, and start them playing.

I played around with the “tag” stuff a little since it’s supposed to let you mark your place in different tracks… but then the tracks are sorted by podcast supplier, not by file name?

The manual doesn’t explain this stuff at all.

I think you could put the podcasts in a folder in an alphanumeric order and listen to them via the folderview selection; and then delete them after from the Clip or, as each one ends (just before the end), put the podcast into pause and delete it then. My hunch is that this may do it for you, or get you close to what you’re used to.

As distinct from playing via the folderview, if you’re playing via the tags, the files are organized by the tags and not by folder/file names (generally).  

Another nice feature about the “Play 1 and stop” mode is that I would start a track playing when going to bed, and the track would play and stop.  No waking up at 3 am with the player still running.

On my old player, if I turned it back on when I woke up, it would resume playing from where I had turned it on.  Which I liked.  Whether it was intentionally designed to do that or if it was just an accident in the firmware, I don’t know. 

I guess I will find a way to use the sleep mode that works for me.

Yep, sleep mode is the way to go for you. 

On my old clip, I found that if you choose to play an “album,” the clip will play all the tracks on an album and then stop.

Does anyone know if the new clip works the same way?  I won’t buy a new one without this feature.  When I first bought the clip several years ago, I asked around about several mp3 player brands, and the Clip was the only one (besides by old Rio Forges) that would do it. Ipods definitely won’t. 

At night I often use “sleep” to play a podcast and then shut down, but it’s a pain to have to do that.

'On my old clip, I found that if you choose to play an “album,” the clip will play all the tracks on an album and then stop. Does anyone know if the new clip works the same way? "

Yes it does. Of course that means the album files must have the same album tag so they are recognized as being an album.

Or, just play the album folder under folderview, regardless of the tags or taglessness.

"Or, just play the album folder under folderview, regardless of the tags or taglessness. "

Yes, but then they are a folder of files, not necessarily an “album”

One could have an album spread over a few folders, or have files that are parts of a few different albums together in the same folder.

What makes a group of files appear to the player that they are an album is having the same album tag.

But some people use a one CD/album per folder paradigm.  In that case, if that is what one routinely does, playing a folder is the equivalent of playing a CD/album.

“as each one ends (just before the end), put the podcast into pause and delete it then.”

Here is something that has already happened a couple of times.  If I delete a podcast near the end (within a few seconds of the end, but definitely not at the end), the player appears to delete the NEXT file.  After the delete, the player shows the name of the next track it wants to play which is TWO past the track I had been listening to.

Like my old Creative player, the Clip+ asks you to confirm that you are deleting a file, but (sigh) does not show you the name of the file you’re about to delete.

edited: I repeated the experiment.  I paused the player about 3 seconds before the end of the file. It definitely deleted the NEXT file again.

Message Edited by melman on 09-12-2009 06:09 AM

And so there appears to be this few second window/overlap at the beginning and end of a file, to the previous or next.

This is an obvious bug.  How do I report it?

There’s a product features suggestions forum here. 

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board?board.id=featuresuggestions

You also could email/telephone SanDisk about it, I imagine.