Pitch issue question

Hi,

I read some posts that mention the pitch issue with the good old Clip, especially with mp3 files encoded with 44khz. Question is … if i directly rip 44khz FLAC to 48khz mp3, will it sound different when compared to 44khz mp3 encoded from same flac? Other formats like ogg in 44khz suffer from the same pitch issue? Thanks.

@icsterm wrote:

Hi,

I read some posts that mention the pitch issue with the good old Clip, especially with mp3 files encoded with 44khz. Question is … if i directly rip 44khz FLAC to 48khz mp3, will it sound different when compared to 44khz mp3 encoded from same flac? Other formats like ogg in 44khz suffer from the same pitch issue? Thanks.

If you rip 44.1 kHz FLAC to 44.1 kHz mp3, then the .mp3 will play about a fifth of a semitone flat. This is noticably flat to me. If you rip 44.1 kHz FLAC to 48 kHz mp3, then the mp3will play very slightly sharp, but it’s pretty unnoticeable (to me, at least).

As I understand it, any audio file with a 44.1 kHz sample rate will play about a fifth of a semitone flat on the Sansa Clip.

I was referring to playback speed problems. Only mp3 files @ 41 khz are affected by the slower speed? What about ogg @ 41khz ?

If you found the posts about pitch, that is answered.  

The pitch error also depends on what version of clip.  V1 a little sharp, V2 a little more flat.

The wrong speed, wrong pitch playback is unacceptable for a modern digital device.

My cheap digital watch is a hundred times more accurate.

This product is unusable by anyone who plays a musical instrument,

and wants to play along with the songs on their Clip+, for fun or to learn new songs. 

Who in there right mind wants to listen to there music played back off pitch/speed?

Why do most reviewers overlook this important quality problem.

The only way to keep manufacturers honest is to boycott willfully defective products like the Clip and Clip +.

The problem is most noticeable with any file format encoded at 44.1kHz sample rate, or a multiple of same.

Message Edited by wavydavy on 09-11-2009 12:51 PM