People obsessed with itunes

In an attempt to get back on-topic here, as many have pointed out, there has been a flood of new members and posters on this forum recently because of Christmas and people receiving Sansas as presents (sometimes for themselves). As also noticed, a great many of these new posters are looking for the Fuze (or whatever model they received) to operate like what they are used to, the I-pod and I-tunes specifically. They are generally, very frustrated that it (the Fuze) works differently.

Has anybody thought about this? . . . WHY?

If the ‘pod’ and the ‘I-world’ are so superior and easier and intuitive and is the greatest thing since sliced bread, then WHY are so many former ‘pod-heads’ suddenly turning to SanDisk & the Fuze? If they really think that the grass was greener on that side of the fence, then WHY are they now all of a sudden coming into our pasture? WHY didn’t they just get another I-pod? Hmmm?

Discuss . . .

I think its mostly about money. If the Fuze and the Nano were priced equally, I expect they’d just get a Nano. The Fuze was cheaper to begin with, and has been heavily discounted recently (whereas nothing from Apple is ever heavily discounted). The other features (expandability, radio) may have been selling points, but the iPod was always behind in features. They probably thought iTunes was some generic music manager and it’d work the same with the Fuze as it does with the iPod. (oops!)

Besides, the Fuze just looks a lot better than its predecessors.

Bdb:

Agreed. Price is a big factor.

Tapeworm: The accessories and other add ons areanother reason why people go with Ipods. It’s very hard to find accessories for the Fuze/Sansa. I hjad to buy an extra cable from the distributor because in Singapore, nobody sells the  accessories like cables, dockers and plug in stereo/clock radios, etc

xavier 

I just bought a Fuze for my daughter who uses iTunes and has had iPods in the past.  Her music is all in MP3 format.  I went for the Fuze because it is much cheaper than iPod (the FM radio and Audible books compatibility are also good) and because I have had reliability problems with iPods on several occasions.    They always seem to fail as soon as the warranty expires.  But my daughter wants to continue to use iTunes to manage her music, rip CDs etc.  I discovered that it is possible to drag songs from the iTunes Library to the Fuze Music folder (open in a Windows Explorer window).  Daughter is happy about this and it seems to work very well.  The only problem is how to get playlists created in iTunes to work on the Fuze.  I found a programme (iTunes Export) which converts the iTunes playlists into M3U format.  These can then be dragged to the Fuze, but come up empty when you try to use them.  I gather from other posts that this is to do with absolute/relative file names.  Daughter is not going to be interested in editing the M3U files, so I need a solution that just works.  On my Archos player I can import the playlist into Winamp and then drag it to the root directory of the Archos and it works.  However, this doesn’t work on the Fuze.

Apart from the playlist issue, there seems to be no problem with using iTunes and Fuze together.  iTunes is a very good media manager.  The iTunes shop is also OK as long as you only buy iTunes Plus songs which are unrestricted MP3s.

Any ideas about a simple solution to the playlist issue would be appreciated.

@tapeworm wrote:

Has anybody thought about this? . . . WHY?

If the ‘pod’ and the ‘I-world’ are so superior and easier and intuitive and is the greatest thing since sliced bread, then WHY are so many former ‘pod-heads’ suddenly turning to SanDisk & the Fuze? If they really think that the grass was greener on that side of the fence, then WHY are they now all of a sudden coming into our pasture? WHY didn’t they just get another I-pod? Hmmm?

For myself, never had an Ipod.  I went to Sansa for Rockbox.

Depending on what your usage pattern is, FM may be the reason.  Lots of gyms now have banks of TV monitors set up in front of all those treadmills etc and to get the sound you need something that gets FM.

“For myself, never had an Ipod.  I went to Sansa for Rockbox.”

Is rockbox avail for the Fuze?

The team is working on code for Fuze.  I have no idea how far they have come.  It appears that there is much, much work to do.  It is complex and everything in there has to be deciphered and reverse-engineered.  It’s a slow process apparently.

You can check the status of Fuze porting on the Rockbox site:

http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/SansaFuze

That page pretty much just says nothing is out.  This one indicates that there’s at least progress.  Not reliable or full function but something sorta works.

http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/SansaV2

I saw an interview with one of Rockbox steering comittee guys who said Sansa donated a couple of players to the effort.  That isn’t a huge commitment, but it is 180 degrees opposite of Ipod encrypting their firmware to prevent alternatives. 

Message Edited by donp on 12-29-2008 09:23 AM

@donp wrote:

I saw an interview with one of Rockbox steering comittee guys who said Sansa donated a couple of players to the effort.  That isn’t a huge commitment, but it is 180 degrees opposite of Ipod encrypting their firmware to prevent alternatives. 

That was ‘ages’ ago and they were the v1 players SanDisk donated. The Rockbox team has had 0% co-operation from SanDisk in trying to port to the v2, Fuze & Clip. They have had money donated from users and supporters that has allowed some of them to buy their own units for testing. Others are spending thier own money for test units.

Correct me if wrong, but aren’t all of the I-pods already ported to Rockbox with the exception of some of the 1st generation models where there are some scroll wheel issues? As there may not be that many of these around any more, this probably isn’t high on the priority list to complete. More effort would likely be expended on the newer models & players that don’t work with RB yet.

@donp wrote:

That was years ago and they were the v1 players SanDisk initially donated. The Rockbox team has had 0% co-operation from SanDisk in trying to port to the v2, Fuze & Clip. They have had money donated from users and supporters that has allowed some of them to buy their own units for testing. Others are spending thier own money for test units.

Correct me if wrong, but aren’t all of the I-pods already ported to Rockbox with the exception of some of the 1st generation models where there are some scroll wheel issues? As there may not be that many of these around any more, this probably isn’t high on the priority list to complete. More effort would likely be expended on the newer models & players that don’t work with RB yet.

Tapeworm wrote: 

From the Rockbox front page (models supported):

" Apple : 1st through 5.5th generation iPod, iPod Mini and 1st generation iPod Nano

(not the Shuffle, 2nd/3rd/4th gen Nano, Classic or Touch)"

No current models, or any nano past 1st generation. Like I said, Apple is using encryption to actively prevent alternative firmware.

On the donated players, the interview was in October: http://twit.tv/floss43

He didn’t mention the model or when it was. 

@donp wrote:

From the Rockbox front page (models supported):

" Apple : 1st through 5.5th generation iPod, iPod Mini and 1st generation iPod Nano

(not the Shuffle, 2nd/3rd/4th gen Nano, Classic or Touch)"

No current models, or any nano past 1st generation. Like I said, Apple is using encryption to actively prevent alternative firmware.

On the donated players, the interview was in October: http://twit.tv/floss43

He didn’t mention the model or when it was. 

Well then, I stand corrected. Not really caring about Apple and all the different pod ‘sub-models’, I guess I didn’t notice their absence on RB Target Status page.

That would be like Apple though; gotta guard all those little Apple-only secrets lest someone at MS gets a hold of them and take away their 5% market share. :wink:

Here is the information I was referring to:

http://daniel.haxx.se/rockbox-sandisk-connection.html

Tapeworm wrote: 

That would be like Apple though; gotta guard all those little Apple-only secrets lest someone at MS gets a hold of them and take away their 5% market share. :wink:

Or to quote one of their ad slogans, “Think Different,”  so long as you don’t think differently than we envisioned you would.

:robotwink: 

Who will be first for the Sansa logo?

Yikes!

Well, there certainly are WORSE places he could have put it . . .

:smileyvery-happy: