PC now sees the Clip, but shows no files

I got a newer laptop (Dell 1501) which refused to recognise the Clip 2gb in auto USB mode. I changed to MSC, which is now recognised, but WMP and Winamp as well as file explorer show no files existing on Clip. On the player the songs show up. –

Why don’t the songs now show up on the PC? I assume it was because I changed to MSC mode to get it to see the Clip. Do I now need to reload the player in MSC mode? Am I missing a driver? I did update the firmware, but no change. 

The songs are there, just can’t see 'em in Windows or the software on the pc. 

Skip

Your computer only shows the songs on the Clip that were transfered under the USB mode that your Clip now is connected to the computer under.

If you want to have your computer show the songs and you want to keep the player set to MSC mode (recommended, unless you have DRM-protected files):  delete the songs currently on the Clip (presumably transferred to the Clip unde USB MTP mode) and retransfer them to the Clip again, this time with the USB MSC mode set.  You can delete one-by-one or simply by reformatting the Clip under its Settings, which will delete all the user content on the player.  (Of course, you also can delete via a computer, but then you’ll need to set the player’s USB mode to MTP and then find a computer you can connect up to.) 

Press and hold the center select button while connecting the device to the PC. That’s for enabling MSC mode here.

@joelmch wrote:
Press and hold the center select button while connecting the device to the PC. That’s for enabling MSC mode here.

Why would the OP need to do this when he already stated he switched to MSC mode and the computer recognized it with no problem? :confounded:

That’s what I was worried about, because the main reason I got a newer laptop was the old HD crashed I will probably lose some music if I just delete them off the Clip. I backed up a lot of them but some of the newer ones had not been backed up as yet.  I was hoping to upload those songs from the Clip to the new PC. Kinda frustrating.  Thanks for helping, though. 

Skip

Before deleting them off your player, can you use a friend’s/a library’s/a work computer simply to transfer the files off your player (set to USB MTP mode) to that computer or even just a USB drive, which you then can transfer back to the Clip after you have reset it to USB MSC mode (and reformatted the player, if you haven’t already deleted the songs from the player)?

I’ll give it a try,     Thanks. 

Skip