Pausing Live Radio

I just got the Sansa Clip+ for the sole purpose of pausing the radio to try and sync the audio with the tv during sporting events because radio is always so far ahead of the tv, so that I can listen to radio announcers rather than the tv ones.  I tried it tonight and I could not get it to work. It seemed to not pick up where it left off, it always stayed ahead of the tv. Am I doing something wrong or is this just not possible with the Sansa clip? I know it can be done on the ipod nano, but I got this because it was cheaper. I really do like the looks of it though, it’s small and cute :slight_smile:

I don’t see how the ipod could pause the fm transmission to synch with tv. Pause simply silences the audio output, it doesn’t pick up where you left off. Music (or other playback) of course does. You would need some sort of electronics that would time delay the audio.

The PAUSE button in regards to the FM radio acts only as a MUTE button. There is no internal memory recording mechanism that the live signal would be saved to during the pause time and then resume. DVR’s do this, but no mp3 player that I know of does.

Thanks for the help. I know the ipod nano does it because my brother-in-law has one that he uses for the same purpose, and it also it says it on Apple’s site.

Yep, some audio players indeed will allow you to pause a live FM transmission, similar to what a TiVo and some DVRs do with live video transmissions–a nifty feature.  (In essence, the players are recording the live FM stream as it is playing and you are listening, and then allowing you to pause that stream, to pick up where you left off when you paused.)

Unfortunately, the Clips don’t do this; as noted above, the Clips’ “pause” button, for FM radio, really is a mute button for the sound–no pausing of the live FM transmission takes place.  The only way you could get a somewhat similar effect would be to record the FM transmission yourself on the Clip and then later play it back, in which case you indeed could pause and restart  your recording (just like with any recording).

I must say, using a TiVo DVR gets one used to its live pause and playback features (including the ability to re-listen to the last few seconds of a live television show)–when I use my Clip player for live FM radio, I at times instinctually will reach for the player to play back the last few seconds of a live radio show to re-listen to something I missed–of course, then I realize, oops, wrong device.  

Yep, some audio players, including Apple iPods, indeed will allow you to pause a live FM transmission, similar to what a TiVo and some DVRs do with live video transmissions–a nifty feature.  (In essence, the players are recording the live FM stream as it is playing and you are listening, and then allowing you to pause that stream, to pick up where you left off when you paused.)

Unfortunately, the Clips don’t do this; as noted above, the Clips’ “pause” button, for FM radio, really is a mute button for the sound–no pausing of the live FM transmission takes place.  The only way you could get a somewhat similar effect would be to record the FM transmission yourself on the Clip and then later play it back, in which case you indeed could pause and restart  your recording (just like with any recording).

I must say, using a TiVo DVR gets one used to its live pause and playback features (including the ability to re-listen to the last few seconds of a live television show)–when I use my Clip player for live FM radio, I at times instinctually will reach for the player to play back the last few seconds of a live radio show to re-listen to something I missed–of course, then I realize, oops, wrong device.  

@tapeworm wrote:

DVR’s do this, but no mp3 player that I know of does.

@klw81 wrote:

I know the ipod nano does it because my brother-in-law has one that he uses for the same purpose, and it also it says it on Apple’s site.

@miikerman wrote:

Yep, some audio players, including Apple iPods, indeed will allow you to pause a live FM transmission, similar to what a TiVo and some DVRs do with live video transmissions–a nifty feature.

I stand corrected. I didn’t know any mp3 player could do that. I suppose it must also be dependent on how much empty/free memory space you have on the device though. I tend to fill my players (and the memory cards, something I know the iPods don’t have) up to the max though, so even if I listened to the radio which I rarely do, that feature would be unavailable, and therefore useless to me.

Learn something new every day. :flushed:

Am not sure of the op specifics on an iPod, but always thought this feature a clever one–the TiVo influence.  At least on a TiVo, there is dedicated memory space for the currently-playing show(s)–don’t know if it’s that way on an iPod as well or if the player uses space that a user otherwise could fill up.